Feel Great At The Pool!

This summer in Colorado has been brutal and the heat is keeping me on my back most of the time. But I've been going to the pool a few days a week and it feels great! The cold water and the increased pressure on my body from being in the water really help my circulation. My legs have been feeling very achy and it helps to move them around in the water. And I don't have to fight gravity nearly as hard. I swim a few laps, but mostly I just tread water and splash around. I almost don't feel ill when I am in the pool and it is wonderful to be able to do something active.

The pool is awesome! I feel almost in shape there for some reason. The only hard part is showering afterwards :^) The stall with grab bars has a really bad showerhead that they refuse to fix ("it's for wheelchair users, that's why you can't raise it," when the point is that it doesn't stay in one place; I can deal with low showerheads), otherwise I'd use it. But the pool is a total win! Ours is kept fairly warm, mid80s I think, which is better for my joints and general ability to swim - but overall the water is very good for dissipating heat. It's the main form of exercise that both my autonomic neurologist and medical geneticist/hypermobility doc prescribed.

Anna, I have that too! I swim at our rehab center every tuesday and am famous for getting to use the bathroom four times in an hour. Pre octreotide I had that on a daily (and nightly) base where nowadays it's just when I'm in the pool. Happy to not be the only one but sorry you're dealing with it too!

I love the water and swimming, but I can get cramping in my intestines. Going to the beach soon to swim. Plenty of fluids and umbrella for sure!! Glad you do so well in the water. I'm taking some anti nausea meds for a sail at sunset!! After a year on meds and supplements, I'm somewhat better, so I'm hoping and praying for the best on this trip with my hubby :) It's our 30th year wedding anniversary...

I love the water and swimming, but I can get cramping in my intestines. Going to the beach soon to swim. Plenty of fluids and umbrella for sure!! Glad you do so well in the water. I'm taking some anti nausea meds for a sail at sunset!! After a year on meds and supplements, I'm somewhat better, so I'm hoping and praying for the best on this trip with my hubby :) It's our 30th year wedding anniversary...

Kimbellgirl:

Happy anniversary - have a great sail at sunset!!!

Count me in!

I recently stayed the weekend at a lake house and despite feeling sick most of the time, I noticed immediately how "normal" I felt in the lake! It was incredible.

I was thinking it was a combination of less "gravity" in the water-- I wasn't standing so I wasn't dizzy. Plus since I was floating around and swimming I was mostly horizontal- another good thing. And of course the coolness was nice.

What a relief that was. I wish I always had access to it!

Very cool to see I'm not alone feeling this way :)

Ahhh!! Happy Anniversary!! Have a wonderful time!

Anna- that's funny. Have always had the same issue with being in the water. Figured that the water pressure must force fluid out of my tissue back into circulation and thru the kidneys. However, I always feel so much better in the water that it's worth it to deal with the slog to the bathroom. :)

Im so happy to have found this post because I was just thinking of joining a local pool to swim some laps! Im hesitant because exercise and I do not tolerate each other very well, but it seems like swimming would be good for both the OI and the EDS.

Out of curiosity--when you swim laps do you swim with your head above the water, or do you hold your breath and breathe rhythmically? I was thinking that holding my breath may make the POTS worse, but there are many strokes that can be done "above" the water :).

Im so happy to have found this post because I was just thinking of joining a local pool to swim some laps! Im hesitant because exercise and I do not tolerate each other very well, but it seems like swimming would be good for both the OI and the EDS.

Out of curiosity--when you swim laps do you swim with your head above the water, or do you hold your breath and breathe rhythmically? I was thinking that holding my breath may make the POTS worse, but there are many strokes that can be done "above" the water :).

I do as I did before I got POTS.. which is a bit of everything! I get out of breath a little easier but nothing dramatic. Having said that, a nice slow backstroke is the easiest for me. :D

Kimblegirl: Happy anniversary and have an awesome trip! :) I'm going on vacation as well in a few days...

Farmeramy: I found out that we all feel good in the pool because it regulates our body so the blood doesn't pool in our legs. Makes sense I guess!

Happy early 4th of July to guys!

Kayla, 10

Just wondering . If you feel relief from being in the pool I'm wondering if it can effect your wellness overall if you swim weekly. Like is it that we feel better just while we're in the pool or does it provide some benefit afterwards also. Just wondering if gong to a YMCA pool weekly would help symptoms overall.

For right now I mostly just splash around in the pool and tread water for a bit. I do a few laps with my head above the water, but I think serious swimming would make me feel crummy.

All of my doctors tell me to exercise--and treading water is certainly exercise! I don't know if it will make my POTS symptoms better, but I DO know that prolonged inactivity will make me worse over time.

I swim "crawl"/freestyle laps when I swim. Hurts my neck to swim with my head out of the water. Usually feel relatively ok while swimming...as others have mentioned, it's getting out that can be a challenge if I over do the laps. B)

I feel pretty good swimming too- especially in the ocean. Just be careful with the indoor pools because sometimes all that chlorine can make me worse. I went in a saltwater pool the other day- it was great. :)

Thanks guys :) We are going to the Gulf. I love the ocean, too, Puppy. It's easy to float in the salt water when you get tired :rolleyes:

Kayla's mom here:

Depending on your swimming facility (we go to the Y), some places have a therapy pool which tends to be smaller but warmer. You may want to start out there to get used to the feeling in the water, then do laps in the big pool. I find that Kayla feels better immediately once submerged in the pool, no matter if she's exercising or just floating around. We discovered this before her POTS/EDS diagnosis, which was one of the things that actually aided in the diagnosis.

We leave for 1000 Islands in a few days, where Kayla is a fish in the river! Can't wait. She needs that.