Lightheaded During Urination?

Just wondering if anyone else gets lightheaded while urinating. If so, has anything helped??

This was the first thing I said that made one of my doctors take notice. At first I said I was dizzy doing a bunch of activites but I said I even feel dizzy going to the bathroom caught his attention. I make sure I sit down and stand up slowly. I also hold on to ( at first the toilet paper holder) now a bar to stabilize myself. Im not sure if it is the h-pots, but if I get unstable the adrenline hits and Im shaky and dizzy.

Before I urinate, I have bad tachycardia and that subsides after urinating. However, I get really lightheaded during urination...

I was reading around on epinephrine, and ran into a non-medical article responding to a someone's question as to why some people get goosebumps when peeing:

"The ANS has two divisions. The sympathetic nervous system (SNS) controls bladder function, among other things. It keeps the bladder relaxed and the urethral sphincter contracted so you don’t have to concentrate on not peeing your pants all day. The parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) relaxes the urethral sphincter and contracts the bladder when you decide to answer nature’s call.

Part of the SNS response to a full bladder is the release of chemicals like catecholamines (which include epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine). When you finally grab a minute to urinate, the PNS takes over, and catecholamine production changes. Some sources point at the change in chemical production as the cause of the shiver, and others say it’s the SNS to PNS switch itself that does it."

Okay, this probably explains most of our symptoms. I know I said I get anxiety and tachycardia with my overfull bladder, and then it goes away right after peeing. I wonder if when the PNS kicks in is why some get lightheaded. I've had POTS 6 years, and this just popped up in the last 6 months. I now wonder how this plays into my POTS or if it is something completely separate.

• 2 weeks later...

Had remembered seeing this thread today when I accidentally ran across this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micturition_syncope

So we might not pass completely out, but read under "causes" sure sound Dysautonomia like.

I don't really get lightheaded, but if I wait to long to go, which is a lot lately since I've lost the feeling in my bladder almost completely, then my first clue that I've waited to long is I start feeling yucky and faint with head pressure and dizzies.

Get to the bathroom and it soon subsides. Though it takes longer as now it takes me a good 30 minutes to empty my bladder.

Hmmm I wonder how I will feel during the test next week. They are doing Neuro Dynamics on me to test the function of the nerves in my bladder.

They fill your bladder up with a sterile solution..........how much you want to bet my body will decide then is a good time to pass completely out???