Working Part-Time?

Anoj

Some of you may have seen about my work issues, which I have written about on this forum.

I have a new opportunity to work part-time. I really want to do it. In fact, have pretty much already made up my mind. :)

The best part is it is 30 hours a week / 6 hours a day. I think I can handle this. It's also in my field and at an awesome place where I want to be. Another great thing is that they pursued me. Networking had a hand in this.

I want to know your experiences with working part-time. If I take this job, I will have about half of my current salary. I also will not have the same benefits.

However, I will have my soul back. I will be home with my kid every afternoon after school. I will not face the same discrimination. I do not have job security or happiness where I am. It's a constant battle. I've hired a lawyer. I'm miserable. People get laid off there all the time.

I think I need to take this leap of faith.

The only thing I can't get past is the money. Not because we can't afford it - we can. But because I'm worth so much more. It's hard to put myself in the mind-set of the salary range of an intern or recent grad when I have more than 15 years of experience. I am struggling with getting over this mental hump. Has anyone else here had to take a "lesser" job just to survive - physically and mentally ... and how did you deal with that?

Your value or worth is not determined by a number. I once had to take a "lesser" job, but I found that even in that position there were things I learned and I was able to focus on doing the best job I could. From what you say, it sounds like it may be a really good fit for you. Perhaps the "lesser" job will give you the ability to do a job you love in an environment you love, but with less stress. That sounds like a good thing to me. I don't mean this rudely at all, but leave your pride at the door and enjoy the work you love. Your talents and worth will be seen by all, no matter what position you hold.I hope it turns out well for you :)

I have always told others that if you love what you do, the money will come. I have taken many jobs with lesser pay but gained :) more satisfaction and less stress with positive results-more happiness and yes at times more money. I agree with tablet that this may be a good fit for you. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

I agree. You need to adjust. I had to give up a full time self employed job I thrived at. I mean, I was very successful and had many, many loyal clients. I ended up working for another pet sitter and now I only make a percentage of my former wage and I work when I can get it. Believe me, it was a real kick in the pants.

But I also feel very grateful to my friend for taking me on. And my stress level is WAY down. You are very fortunate that you don't need a big salary to live on. For this I was grateful as well. My husband, thank God, is able to support us both. I do feel a little bit robbed of my autonomy but that is something that we all deal with on this forum. I feel grateful for all the good life brings and dysautonomia is definitely a detour, but it isn't the end of the road.

Anoj,

I think that sounds like a great improvement from your last job! (I remember your earlier posts) I, too, have previously taken a position for less money. At the time, I asked myself how much money my sanity or sense of peace would be worth if I had to pay an actual dollar amount for it and truthfully it's worth alot. So, I looked at it as if the reduction in pay (X amount of dollars) was actually going to pay for my sanity, sense of peace (or as you said "your soul"). It's a mindtrick, of course, but for me it made it easier to let go of that money and I never gave it a second thought once the decision was made.

You should never have to feel the way you are feeling in your current job...

Have your soul back

Home with your child EVERY day after school (more time with your child will also give you your soul back; strengthens your soul;

makes your heart sing and your child benefits)

In your field

You can financially afford this - in the worst economy since the Great Depression - you can afford this

At an AWESOME place - where you WANT TO BE

Have your soul back

The size of the paycheck you have with a higher paying job pales in comparison to having your soul back and the benefit of that to you, your health and your family. Congrats on winning the lotto - lucky you!!

Because I'm happy at my current job, my ANS symptoms are more tolerable. I felt like they were taking me over at the job I had where I wasn't enjoying myself and I had useless job stress. We all have job stress but that position just had the abundance of bull....!! Returning to work with POTS was tolerable when I had a position that gave me my soul back....my autonomic nervous system and my psyche rewarded me. Good luck. I know that it's only us dysautonomia/POTS folks that know how hard it is to put one foot in front of the other every day. SO congrats on your achievements.

I think that is awesome!!!!!! I totally agree with Tablet's post--she has some good points. I hope that your new job brings you much relief! :)

I long for the opportunity to take a "lesser job". Unfortunately my curent job, although it is technically a well paying job, doesnt bring me enough money to cover all the bills I have. I really have NO idea how I'm doing what I'm doing.

I often wonder how people get by when they can't work, and dont have anyone else who can help them out financially? I am terrified that this will happen to me....

I think it sounds like a great deal all the way around. If you feel like you can handle the 6 hours/day, that's super. Even better that you'll be home with your child after school.

Congrats!!

thank you all so much for your replies. i'm at a very emotional/tumultuous time in my life right now. truth be told, i'm scared. we are a 2-income household. my husband alone doesn't make enough to support us. however, my new salary would give us enough to survive. it just ***** because for the first time in our lives we have extra cushion. we've worked so hard for this for so many years. currently, if an appliance broke, we would be able to replace it. with this new salary, we would have to charge it and pay it off. we won't be able to save the way we do now. so, although we will be tighter, we will not be starving.

i am trying to look at it as a temporary thing. maybe for the next year or two until i'm better (which hopefully will happen). i guess i can always be a corporate gangster later?

i'm also scared about whether i can make it physically. i'm more worried about driving all the way across town than i am actually sitting there and doing the work. i am pretty sure i can do the work. i think my fear is more due to my own mental problems than actual reality or facts. basically, i'm a worrier, and i hate change. :huh:

my current job is going so badly, i just feel this is a no-brainer. lately i've been feeling like they're trying to phase me out. i'm being cut out of meetings, and my work seems to be drying up. i've been set up to fail many times (my ideas are ignored, then months later someone else picks them up and takes the credit, i'm belittled on conference calls, was told my performance was not high-performing, etc. etc. etc.). i hired a lawyer, and now he won't get back to me. the latest is my current job is letting me work from home, but they wanted me to sign an agreement saying that working from home could affect my performance! UGGGHHHHHH. no. i just can't take the abuse anymore.

so anyway ... i'm interviewing for this thing on friday. it's not actually in the bag, but the guy remembered my resume from about a year ago from a stack of 60-70, and we know mutual professionals, so it's looking good!

Best of luck to you!!

Good luck to you! You know, I don't view your fears as mental.... like worrying whether you are going to be able to continually drive across town, etc... that's not mental. That's the type of physical problems we all face with POTS. My commute was 45 minutes and at the end, before I had to quit, I started becoming very symptomatic while driving, but that wasn't a mental state, it was my HR causing me to become symptomatic (and dangerous to meet on the road!) I can so relate to what you are feeling and the lose that you feel. I'm sorry! Take a day at a time. Go to the interview Friday and see how the new situation feels! xoxoxo

Good luck to you! You know, I don't view your fears as mental.... like worrying whether you are going to be able to continually drive across town, etc... that's not mental. That's the type of physical problems we all face with POTS. My commute was 45 minutes and at the end, before I had to quit, I started becoming very symptomatic while driving, but that wasn't a mental state, it was my HR causing me to become symptomatic (and dangerous to meet on the road!) I can so relate to what you are feeling and the lose that you feel. I'm sorry! Take a day at a time. Go to the interview Friday and see how the new situation feels! xoxoxo

thanks for writing, mcblonde ... i do remember your posts in my other thread. thank you so much for your viewpoint. it is really important for me to hear all of these things, all sides of the coin.

my interview it tomorrow. my biggest concern is that this is all the way across town. i think i will be fine working. i'm more worried about driving there. to make things more confusing, my current job offered a me a new responsibility, which i really wanted. i'm still struggling with giving up so much $. anyway, i am really bad about making decisions! i could waffle back and forth and back and forth. i will just have to wait and see how things go tomorrow.

thanks everyone for lending an ear. i appreciate everyone's input!

Hi Anoj!

I hope it all worked out! I know the day I quit my horrible job was such a huge relief, I had far less headaches and way more energy. But in searching for jobs myself, I know how easy it can be to talk yourself out of something before you even have the opportunity.

Good luck to you either way!

you guys, i just thought to come here as a place to vent my frustration! i got the rejection email today! i am so beyond confused and disappointed!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :( :( :( :( :(:o :o :o :o :o

i had decided to take a chance on this job and go for it. i had the interview last friday, and it went really well! fast forward to today and i get the rejection email. they went with another candidate. i emailed him back and asked why (politely). the crazy thing is, i didn't even APPLY for this job. they had my resume on file from 6 months ago and remembered me from 70 candidates. plus, we had mutual professional acquaintances. maybe they called around and found out about the fainting? i don't know!

i just feel like giving up now! this is maybe the 4th job that hasn't worked out since i got sick. i have had all these opportunities dangled in front of me (low-stress, work from home, or part-time opportunities) that didn't work out for one reason or another. my salary requirements were too much. or whatever. rejection. too sick to work up to my qualifications and leave the current hellhole. not sick enough to get disability. etc. etc. at this point i am afraid to even LOOK or apply anywhere. it's not that big of a city, and i have interviewed around town so much that i'm afraid when it's really time to leave i will have burned through too many options.

i am employed right now and working from home, so i know i'm in better shape than a lot of people with POTS. i am abused and treated badly where i work, so i have been desperate to leave.

i just feel like giving up now. how much disappointment can a person take? for the past 2 years of this illness, i've worked so hard at maintaining a positive attitude and trying to stay healthy, but things just keep going wrong. i think a person can only take so much before their attitude starts to suck!

i mean, my marriage is bad, my job is bad, i keep getting things dangled in front of me then taken away ... i go to physical therapy all the time and KEEP gaining weight (from meds that i can't get off of). etc. etc. etc.

sorry, but i can't find a reason to smile today.