Can Barely Get Out Of Bed

Just started beta blocker two days ago. My Bp upon standing is so horrible that I can only walk around for ten minutes or so before I feel like I going to pass out. What have others done when this happens to them?

Bp was 90/64 and I was pouring sweat after walking around the house for ten minutes...

Jacquie,

What dose did they start you on for the Metoprolol? It didn't lower my BP (my was low anyway, 90/60) but it is a concern. They put me on florinef a couple of weeks before starting the BB which it looks like you are on already. Can you tolerate a higher dose of florinef to help you maintain a higher blood volume? Hpe this gets worked out for you.

Katie

I'm on metoprolol extended 12.5mg. I'm no longer on florinef. Both florinef and midodrine give me severe headaches. They aren't mIld headaches that I could deal with, but they are severe. Not sure what else to try..

I would call your doctor; there are many beta blockers out there. Either the dose is too high, you need to try another, or tweak your other meds to compensate for the difference.

My hr fluctuated between 70-111 while on beta blocker. 12.5 is actually the lowest dose for metoprolol. I could only stand for ten minutes until I felt like I was going to pass out

Can you take a thermatabs and a large glass of water before you get of bed? I like coconut water. I have a technical assistance that I send all my vital signs in to the health care system for my doctor before I get out of bed. That way I know what I'm dealing with.I usually leave a cooler in my bedroom with supplies of G2 water, food, energy bars, waters, till I'm safe to walk around which can be hours and hours. Everything I need is right by my bed. I carry a bucket down the stairs and fill it when I go back up with what I'll need for the day.

Hope some of this may help you ~

Something to consider, there is an adjustment period for many people on betas. It took me about a month to adapt to mine. I had resting heart rates in the high 30's when I first began. Now my resting heart rate is normal and I know that nadolol is protecting my heart. My standing heart rate before was usually at least 175. Now it is in the 120's.

Well, I didn't take the beta blocker last night, however, my heart was racing all night...

My BP runs really low from my BB. I take atenolol, I've weaned off it as much as I can while still getting some HR control. I also take florinef to help support my BP and midodrine 3 times a day to help keep my BP high enough so I can take the BB.

Brye

hi jacquie,

i had a similar experience while on metoprolol 12.5 mg a day, so my dr switched me to bisoprolol 5 mg a day - was too strong, tried 2.5 mg still made me dizzy/lightheaded, cut that in half but the dizziness was still there and my heart rate was quite high. Now i take propranolol and i no longer deal with lightheadedness/dizziness. Try asking your dr for a different beta blocker. I hope you'll be able to find one that works for you and has minimal/no side effects.

best of luck and best of health