Trouble Sleeping, But Not Insomnia

Hey all.

Recently I have been having a hard time getting more than approximately 4 hrs of sleep each night. It doesn't have anything to do with the inability to sleep, really...

I constantly wake up in the night because my limbs are numb. Mostly my arms, but sometimes my legs too.

If i roll over and even remotely touch one of my arms, it goes numb. Legs fall asleep if I curl up.

The only time I sleep is when Im stick straight on my back.... but I can't sleep like that because its not comfortable.

Any ideas?

Memory foam on top of mattress helps, and lots of pillows maybe?! Sorry you can't sleep...I have sleep apnea, and went years without sleep. You just can't function when you aren't sleeping...

I have the same issues with my arms and legs and I have to sleep perfectly straight and have good support under my neck. I think it's connected to EDS for me - cause I dislocate things very easily. Ribs will go out of place and I have to push them back in - shoulders seperate and almost come out of socket. I can hyperextend my knees and ankles etc.....you get the picture. I use lots of pillows under nearly every body part. I still have problems with sleeping and I have a CPAP too. That only complicates things when you're in pain - cause then it REALLY bugs you. Sorry, you're having this issue. But, if I can somewheat get myself out of pain, my body and muscles will relax enough for me to get a few hours of sleep. I know, that I don't sleep enough and surely not well and this has to be complicating my health issues.

Issie

my arms and legs do this too even during the day, my Neuro said its part of the autonomic system not working so I don't suppose it will change any time soon. I use compression off and on during the day, night I stick whatever limb is 'asleep' up in the air and it seems to fix it. As for making it not happen who knows. I have memory foam and it happens nightly.

I think I am mostly repeating eveyone else's reply but a memory foam topper, extra pillows to prop up head, a good sized (or two less fluffy) pillow upder my knees to relieve lower back pressure. I get the numbness and "falling asleep" on and off. I have a really difficult time falling asleep between that and constant pain on the pressure points of my body (worst in hips, knees, shoulders.) In addition to taking hydroxyzine at bedtime, I usually have to take a Tylenol PM to get to sleep and even that still takes about 2 hours before I can sleep.

Limbs falling asleep during sleep was a big issue for me for a couple of years. I'd wake up with mostly a 'dead' arm but it wasn't like I was lying on it. Sometimes it was just lying a bit askew. Sometimes over my head. Then it stopped. I didn't realize it had stopped until I woke up the other night with left arm feeling totally dead. I'd flung it over my head and had to use the other arm to get it back 'in place'.

However, during the day my legs and feet do go to sleep very easily and fast if I sit on them for only a short period. And they are much more 'asleep' then they used to be when I was younger. It means I mostly can't sit with one leg under my butt anymore. That was something I did before I knew I had pots and I think it was my way of regulating my body, unknowingly. I can't even sit on the floor with legs stretched out (when I had a laptop I used to do this) anymore unless I want a dead leg or two.

blue