Cardiac Rehab Therapy

sarahm

I survived my first week of cardiac rehabilitation therapy. It was so exhausting. I am completely spent physically and emotionally. The people are super nice though. I am their first POTS patient so we are trying to figure things out together.

It was a lot harder on me emotionally than I was anticipating. Mostly because I am 31 and in there with a bunch of people at least twice my age. And I could compare how my heart rate was doing to a 70 year old that just had a heart attack.... it was frustrating.

For those curious on how it goes. They hook you up to a heart monitor. And take your bp before, after, and at least one time during the session. Then its 10 min of stretching and warm up, 10 min on three different machines for 30 min total ( I did rower, recumbant bike, rower), 10 min of hand weights, and 10 min cool down and stretching. We meet 3 times a week, and there is a one hour class afterwards twice a week going over healthy lifestyle topics. They limit how hard you are working and really want you to go slow and increase difficulty gradually.

Congrats! I've been attending a cardiac rehab maintenance class and that has been so helpful. I've been going over a year. It is a little discouraging when the average age is about 75 but they have all been really nice! Keep working at it, well worth it!!

Brye

Thats sounds a really good idea. Did the pots doc suggest it?

I am always very cautious with exercise as all my symptoms include chest pain.

Hope it brings you good health.

Brye I am glad to hear you had good results with the program!!!

Emma actually I kind of stumbled on it accidentally. I was living with my parents and started PT there with great results. When I moved back to my own home I wanted to continue. My PCP wrote a prescription and I started calling around. MY POTS dr didn't know anyone that had worked with POTS patients before. There is a very big, famous rehab hospital here so I called them. They looked at my info and actually suggested going to a cardiac rehab program at another hospital because they didn't have one. I was lucky they were honest and knew about a program that would suit me better.