Taking A Beta Blocker And Ssri

Just curious how many of you take a beta blocker and ssri? I looked up drug interactions and it says there's a moderate one between these two drugs...

I started fluoxetine (Prozac) last week. My psychiatrist didn't seem to think it would interact with anything, though an interaction checker implies that it might result in elevated plasma levels of the beta blocker. No obvious interactions (though I am on a tiny dose of fluoxetine, 5mg, the max is 80mg per day) yet - I am actually ramping my BB up to see if it helps with the spaciness at all.

Mmm, forgot to add - my ANS neurologist told me that the thing to watch out for (for me, at least) dosage-wise on beta blockers (well, propranolol at least) is bradycardia (if the dose is too high for you) - so if you aren't having any obvious interactions, and your heart rate is doing okay, you might be all right. (my resting heart rate sitting on the couch just now is 55, which is low. time to start taking it more often now that the BB dosage is increased)

for a week i took a combo of propranolol and citalopram + a bunch of other meds. I am unsure whether my symptoms were the result of the beta-blocker and ssri interacting with one another, but I experienced the wildest swings in heart rate and blood pressure. After a week, my dr decided it would be best if I stop the ssri.

I heard people swearing by their ssri, but there are always exceptions - even my dr was surprised by my reaction - from what i've been told most people tolerate ssri's (citalopram in particular quite well).

it's only my opinion, but if your dr prescribed them together, mostlikely s/he did not anticipate major interactions/problems; try talking to your dr or pharmacist - they might be able to put your mind at ease

i hope this helps

best

alex