Beta Blocker Dose

Just wondering what beta blocker and what dose those of you are on who need the beta blockers for tachycardia...?

20mg of nadolol at bedtime. My standing heart rate was in the 170's. When I first started taking it my hr would also drop down into the 40's but not now. I think it took me a few months to get used to it but a lot of the side effects have gone away.

After trying numerous beta blockers, I have been on Acebutol (Sectral), 200mg for over a year. The only downfall is now my former 140 heart rate, sometimes goes extremely low. Mostly in the low 50's, sometimes in the 40's and a few time as low as 27 (cardionet monitor). So, now I'm taking it every other day. Still running low, but the drs seem to be ok with it. It's a capsule form, and 200 mgs is the smallest dose. Still it's made my life much more bearable!

I take low dose labetalol, per dr. grubb. I tirate it up from 50mg as needed depending on activity and stress levels that day. If I'm having a quiet day, I don't always take it, but I monitor my blood pressure during the day. My hr/bp drops when I lay down, so I never take at bedtime. I am on the short acting form of labetalol. Also since my ivig infusions I have had improvements in my swings from very low to very high on standing. I still swing but not as high or low, they are closer together now.

labetalol is an alpha/beta blocker and grubb prescribes for his hyperandregenic patients. I was on a lot of other bp meds, beta blockers and clonidine. Non controlled me, inderal at a higher dose made me gain weight and caused severe fatigue, clonidine patch and then pill, allergic to patch, then with the pill it would were off after a few hours and was requiring higher and higher doses to controll my bp, I think it made the swings worse. It was awful and scary going off of it, like the body became addict to it and couldn't get enough.

( Just posted this under newer thread Beta Blocker ) Sorry to post twice.

I am on Propranolol ( Inderal ) LA 60 mg BID ( total 120) I was on 80 BID but have managed to taper to 60 for now. I have not found anyone on this site on as much of this, but I was not originally put on this for POTS and it may be part of my POTS problem. After tapering off of it this year, under the doctors slow taper, my symptoms were awful I had to go back on it.

Prior to this I was on Propranol 20 years for an incidental tremor, and later mild HTN and was only diagnosed with POTS this year, and have only had POTS symptoms for 2 1/2 years.

I cannot use Propranolol, even the long acting under the recommended once per day dosing for the long acting. ( for instance 120 LA once instead of 60 twice a day. ) This is because it drops my HR quite low initially and then it rises back up by 24 hours to a resting tachycardic point.

Hello, new member here! :) waving...

I a surprised to see most of you are on a lower dose than I am. I am on propanolol 80mg slow release. I started taking these before we knew I had pots but a neurologist (who was at a loss as to what was up with me) thought it worth a go since my HR was quite high. He started me off with 10mg pills and then building it up. But the 10mg pills worked for a couple of hours and then my HR would go nuts and I’d feel horrible. So we worked it up until I was near 80mg (imagine 8 pills over 24 hours and every 2 hours my body would go nuts, until I could take the next pill) and when I started on the slow release one all calmed down. Been on them for about 5 years now and they’ve made a huge difference. Got a pots diagnosis in the mean time but saw no reason to rock the boat and change medication...This one pill made me function in life again.