Occasional Very Slow Hr

E246

I increasingly have hr dropping to 50-55bpm when resting. Sometimes when i am not feeling well it can make my chest feel sore and I will feel a bit breathless with it.

Today when I was dropping of for a nap my monitor beeped and my HR was only 19, sat up and it went to 22 so stood up and pumped my hands and it jumped finally to 84.

Maybe this often happens and I only know because i have a monitor on?

It's really worried me - should i do anything about it?

Is it possible your monitor wasn't picking up all your beats? Does it have the little bar that shows your heart beating? Cain you manually check your HR when it's that low to confirm its accuracy? Sometime my pulse ox says I'm like at 32bpm at sating @ 70 lol... It just doesn't catch all my beats or my fingers are too cold etc..

You might wanna call your Dr if it's really @ 19, 22 ... Especially if your symptomatic

Thanks, afterwards I wondered the same - maybe the connection had been lost. Probably paniced a bit as i had just been in hospital overnight.

The bradycardia is getting slower when I lie down (below 50) and i have been getting a bit concerned about it.

Thanks - if it happens again i will check pulse.

Hopefully it was a monitor error. I know that a hr of 40 feels horrible for me, so I can't even imagine what 19 would feel like.

I have resting hr's in the 50's too, but if I'm not symptomatic, I try not to be concerned. Once it hits the low 50's I keep a pretty close eye on it, though. From the Holter, I know that my hr goes into the low 40's while sleeping. The docs seem quite comfortable with that. I hate it when it's that low if I'm up though. I think the lower hr's would be easier to handle if it weren't for the extremes (brady, tachy, PVC, SVT). I think you should definitely mention it to your docs, especially if it is a change from before.

Emma, I hope that it was an error. I have low hr's too (esp. during the night). When I'm in low 30's I can't even lift my head from my pillow as everything starts spinning around. Standing for me isn't possible at that point. Hope they'll find out what's going on for you!

Emma,

I agree with everyone's suggestions. Were you sleeping at the time or just about to fall asleep? During the time I wore an event monitor for 4 days, my HR dropped to 27 while I was sleeping. Pretty scary, as I woke up choking and had pushed the alert button on my monitor. That test got me a referral for a sleep study and referral to the sleep neurologist. I was diagnosed with central and obstructive sleep apnea and a APAP (automatic CPAP machine) was ordered. APAP really helped me for nearly 2 years.

You may want to ask for a event monitor which can capture any drops over several nights.

Best wishes,

Lyn

Yes thanks - i am about to get a monitor and to see a sleep doctor. it did happen as i was dropping off.

BUT - my hr has gone really slow and unless i move it stays around 50 and more importantly my chest hurts.

This has been going for a couple of days since i got out of hospital. Generally not feeling great and trying to take it easy.

Can florineff do this?

They did all my bloods in hospital so i assume my electrolytes were ok.

This is starting to really worry me - thanks for your help.

Emma,

I agree with everyone's suggestions. Were you sleeping at the time or just about to fall asleep? During the time I wore an event monitor for 4 days, my HR dropped to 27 while I was sleeping. Pretty scary, as I woke up choking and had pushed the alert button on my monitor. That test got me a referral for a sleep study and referral to the sleep neurologist. I was diagnosed with central and obstructive sleep apnea and a APAP (automatic CPAP machine) was ordered. APAP really helped me for nearly 2 years.

You may want to ask for a event monitor which can capture any drops over several nights.

Best wishes,

Lyn

Hi lyn,

You said an APAP helped you for two years. What did you use after that. can I ask?

blue

I'm so glad I've found this topic, thanks to Potsgirl. Before beta blockers, hy hr was always above 100 and normally 120-140 and higher. Right now I'm on Acebutolol 100mg (the smallest dose and it only comes in capsule form). Since being on betas, I'm now mostly bradycardic. My lowest also 27, recorded on cardionet monitor. Occassionally, my heart rate will go to 63 and it feels high! A few weeks ago, when it was very hot and humid it was in the low 40's. Not fun. Normally I run around 52-55. I'm now taking the beta blocker every other day, but still does not seem to bring my hr back up. I've seen a few very EP drs and love the one I'm using now. He explained that I don't remain at 27 and that structurally everything looks ok with my heart. I also have pauses, the longest being 3.8 secs, but have been told that they're not the dangerous kind and that I'm not a candidate for a pacemaker. 3 EPs have confirmed that it would make things worse, not better. This is our autonomic system gone awry.

Good luck to everyone. What a ride this has been!

Rene