What Do You Feel When You First Wake Up In The Morning?

Waking up refreshed and ready to continue on with my day? in my dreams!

I usually wake up with one or more of the following (flavors)!

Extreme fatigue

Tachycardia (racing heart)

Chest pain

Headaches

Back and shoulder pain

Lack of appetite and nausea

Disorientation

Extreme numbness in my hand or leg

Lack of balance

Feeling hot (sweating) or shivering from cold

Lack of concentration and poor brain function

How about you my POTS friend?

I open my eyes and hope this nightmare is over. Usually tachy, sometimes dizzy, sometimes SOB, urinary urgency but can't really hurry to P, I check BP which usually too low, I have the shakes but inside, not visible. I brush my teeth, beg God to save me, thank him for making me not the worst dysautonomia case....then get ready for work. :-)

I have to gradually make my self upright. If I "jump" right out of bed my legs turn to jelly and my head feels heavy. (hey I rhymed :)). I usually feel pretty nauseous too until I eat something little for breakfast.

After I wake up in the morning, I feel like a dead person. Dead, dead, dead. My body definitely does not adjust to the change from being asleep to being awake. Of course, the longer I remain in bed, the worse I feel, so there is no way out of this despicable situation except to push myself and get moving.

If I did not push myself, I would eventually feel so sick from laying there, that I would wonder how come I'm still alive? IOW, How could I feel that bad and still live? But, I do. I may even look like death, but here I am typing this, so I've survived this daily torture another day. It's a nightmare that I've been living with now for at least ten years. Amazing isn't it, that you could look and feel so dead, and yet be alive!

I feel like I'm dead, dead, dead and I can't get up. This goes on for hours. When I finally can get a BP it is so low and heart rate so

high, temp so low that I'm always freezing cold. I'm starving, but eat and feel so sick once I eat. Nothing stays in me. Dizzy, in pain,

shaky and it stinks because I may have to fight like heck through chest pain to get to the bathroom. That is why I thought it was named POTS.The room that I live in....when I not in bed.

Going to bed is like going to war. As relieved as I am when my head hits the pillow and my body hits the bed - I know a price will be paid in the morning. I wake up feeling extremely groggy, dizzy, in pain, my heart beating hard, my breathing is heavy. Once I get up, my heart beats fast, there's a ton of pressure in my chest and in particular by my spleen (weird one) and I still feel half asleep for quite a while - yet I feel very hot and racey at the same time. Mornings are terrible.

This is sad that we all feel so terribly but it's reality right?

I feel like others mentioned, kinda dead, thinking I'm about to wake up from the nightmare but it just continues on. I'm very tachy. First going from laying to sitting, my heart beats crazy fast and then from sitting on the bed to walking, it feels faster. I'm ususally very disoriented feeling and lightheaded.

I can empathize with you all. Mornings are horrible. I basically crawl to the bathroom because of urinary urgency, fatigued, head fuzzy and buzzing in ears, bp low with no reading and high heart rate, body achey all over, legs feel like jelly, aura in front of eyes, etc...I try to hydrate which helps alittle, but it is the Midodrine, caffiene, support thigh highs and rest of medications and homeopathic treatments that get me going in the morning. I get up at 5am and it takes 2 hours until I am able to get up, actually stand, walk and go to work. In that 2 hour period, I do alot of sitting and crawling to get ready for work. Evenings aren't much better. I am usually exhausted by the time I am done working and wind up doing more crawling, sitting and lying down. :wacko:

I wake up feeling like I just had a mild adrenaline rush. If I try to get out of bed right away, I feel very lightheaded. I usually lay around for 10-15 minutes, until I feel more awake. I don't want to talk to anyone, I just want my caffeine. I sit and drink my iced tead, and about 1 hour later, I begin to feel mentally alert. As I watch the morning news, I have the blurriest vision. It takes an hour or so to get better. I can't read anything on tv during that time! Then I spend all morning fighting rollercoaster blood sugars, and then afternoons are more even.

I forgot to add, my hearing is super-sensitive when I first get up. I have to turn the tv lower than it was the night before, and then as the day progresses, I can turn it up a little more.

I have to say, all of this puts alot of stress on me when a doctor's office ONLY makes morning appointments! I always request an afternoon appt. when possible, because I am not thinking well at all in the mornings.

I wake up - figure out where my limbs are in the bed.... I have EDS so pain is my second concern once I figure out where I am ... then I gather myself up and walk the 3 steps to the pain pills - take 2 and then lay back down till they work... next I get up again - walk to BR - this is very slow, very stiff and very gingerly sometimes with a four wheeled walker... Same deal every morning - where's my arms? where's my legs? Is everything here and working? PAIN - oh crap ... here we go again! Oh and the other thing is - a huge huge 'rush' for lack of a better word in my abdomen with the first movement in bed as I awaken. It happens when laying horizontal for a nap or to just rest up from fatigue - I don't know what that huge rush is - but it could be pooling perhaps - as with hypermobility the pooling with clonidine is worse I'm told.

Drinking a lot of water before your fully up helps because you haven't had fluids in a while. That might make you feel a bit worse.

Hope this helps you!

Kayla, 10

P.S To answer your question, I feel horible in the mornings! Stomach hurts a lot more and can barely open my eyes. Oh well.:(

Ack! All of these things describe me perfectly--when I tell people I'm not a morning person, this is what I mean! I'm a shaky, twitchy, dizzy, heart-racing hot mess! I've had to start going in to work a bit later so I have time to acclimate to the day before hopping in my car and driving 35 miles on the Beltway in DC...fortunately, I've also been able to snag some telecommuting days, so I only have to be in a moderate rush 3 days a week.....I always say that my perfect job would start at 11:00 and end at noon....as soon as I find one of those gigs, I'll let everyone know!