Weird Heart Sensations

Does anyone have weird heart sensations like it's in their doing flip flops? Sometimes in addition to the flip flops, mine feels like the bottom just drops out or like my heart just threw up. I know that sounds weird but that is the only analogy I can think of to describe it. Does anyone have similar feelings that they get and what does it mean.

Thanks

I definitely know what you're talking about with the bottom-drops-out description. It's been happening to me all night - I forgot to update my insurance info on the mail-order prescription website so now I'm stuck without my metoprolol for a few days. Not happy. Anyway. Those, for me, are just premature ventricular contractions (holter confirmed it). I'll also get what feels like fluttering - that's a string of 3 or more PVCs, otherwise known as ventricular tachycardia.

Both, according to my cardio, are harmless. Some of the research that I've read on v-tach doesn't quite agree that it's completely harmless, but at the moment I'm not hugely worried about it.

Both generally happen when I'm 'at rest' - my heart's beating slower, so there's more time for it to stick in a premature beat (again, according to my cardio)

Have you had/considered a holter to try to catch one, just to be sure it's not serious?

Thanks Libby for writing back. It makes me feel a little better to know you experience the same feeling. I've wanted to do a holter but I don't really have a cardiologist right now. One that I want to go back to anyways. I need to find someone and ask for one and hope they give it to me. So the PVCs and ventricular stuff isn't dangerous?

Nope, not dangerous at all. Apparently, a lot of people have PVCs and just don't notice. I don't know HOW they don't notice them, lol, because mine leave me kind of stunned for a second or two, but they don't. The v tach can be dangerous if it doesn't stop after a few seconds, but in people with otherwise healthy hearts (and those with mild MVP, for what it's worth) it's benign 99.9% of the time.

Regarding holters, I know that my first was ordered by my PCP. I had to go to the cardio's office to get it put on, but the cardio just wrote out a report and faxed it over to my primary's office, and then I followed up with her. Just in case you don't want to deal with finding a new cardio at the moment. :)

I have tons of PVCs & PACs that started when my POTS started. When I stand, Im quite frequently in bigeminy (meaning every other beat is a PVC) I'm getting kinda use to it, sometimes they really take my breath away. My cardiologist said they're benign, and sometimes caused by electrolyte imbalance. my parents get them too.. Pre-pots I would get them like crazy when I drank too much coffee

Thanks guys. I should just ask my PCP then and hopefully he can order the holter.

mytwogirls........ thanks for writing. those feelings i have increase too when i have tea or chocolate, i know that is something i need to cut back on but I love those things! I know what you mean about taking the breath away, it's scary because i don't know what it is.

No caffeine for us with these irregular heart beats!! I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse. Beta blockers help...I had a holter, but I believe it was worthless, since it was only 24 hours, and I became unplugged in the middle of the night, and had already started on my Beta blocker :wacko:. I just thought it was palpatations from menopause, which was not fun before diagnosis without meds. My heart aches on occasion, and that to be honest bothers me more than the palpatations, because I now know what they are ;) Heart pain makes me generally feel bad all over, so I then am more symptomatic, but no love lost there :wub:

Yes i get lots of odd sensations with my heart and changing rates. Like you Kimbellgirl i get pain and it come or is the start of feeling unwell.

Misstraci definitely get it checked for your own peace of mind. Good luck