Traveling With Pots

Elfie

I haven't traveled for pleasure since my onset. Any traveling has been to medical appointments or to see close family or attend funerals.

Travel is pretty hard on my system, but obviously when I'm just crashing with family or going to the doc that doesn't matter much.

However, I've recently been invited on a road trip with the man I've been seeing. He is from Tucson, AZ and is traveling back for a family event and would like me to come with him. I'm flattered that he'd like to introduce me to his family. I also wouldn't mind "getting away" for a week after a long hard winter.

The issues lie in traveling (about 9-10 hours by car) and dealing with the heat in the 90s in Tucson.

I don't want to take the focus away from the family event or keep him from enjoying the time with his family because things don't go well and I need to be laying down.

I'd love some advice!

If I don't go on this trip, hopefully I will be traveling to the Mayo in MN (18 hr drive) or Dallas, TX (13 hours) for more testing, possibly with the same traveling companion.

I do not travel well at all because i have Migrain/vertigo with my POTs, but a long journey for the UK is about 2 hours because we are so tiny! Still 2 hours for me I would worry so much about and how i would be at the other end. Traveling was worse than exercise, food or practically anything else you could imagine.

Best advice i would say would be to explain to your guy that its best if you could lay down in the back and try and sleep. I would try and stop as often as you can to drink and walk around for a minute, then carry on the journey when you feel you can and you are ready, just dont rush it. I have had some awful journeys but just had to do them because i have to see consultants and have tests. I would say to your new man, if it takes you double the time to get to where you need to be, then it takes double the time. If he cares for you I am sure he wont have a problem with having a few extra stops.

I TRY to not let my POTS stop me from doing the things I really want to do. I do get motion sick - so, I have my homeopathy "Motion Mate" handy for when it starts to hit. Sometimes, I will sit in the back seat and have lots of pillows to prop up on and put a suitcase in the floor board ro prop my legs on and a pillow on the arm rest and put my legs between the front seats and ride that way. You really do need to not go for more then 2 hours without walking around - that's the absolute longest. Have water to drink and warn to be on the lookout for the bathroom breaks. You can do it! Thing is, you would always wonder if you should have or could have. But, you know your body and what you can handle. Hope whatever decision you make - turns out to be the best one for you.

Issie

Thanks Diamond-- I'm not that worried about the actual traveling since I have done long 5-7 hour trips before (and he will drive, and probably stop often for his own needs every hour or two), but feeling crummy for days afterwards once we arrive. I'm worried about potentially dealing with a migraine the next day, or just dizziness and fatigue from a tiring journey. I dare say meeting his mother and sisters will probably be a bit exciting and stressful, as well.

On top of that, it has been several years (prior to me beginning treatment) since I've dealt with heat like that. Last time I was somewhere hot I had symptoms similar to altitude sickness, wanting to lay down, being dizzy, sleeping, shortness of breath, nausea, ect--- POTS symptoms, but all at the same time and with exaggerated shortness of breath and fatigue.

He seems quite keen on me going, but I don't want to ruin his trip.

I know what you are saying by not wanting to ruin his trip, once you get to his parents house you have to be sociable and meet and greet and do small talk which is hard when you feel terrible. The stress of having to meet a new family really is enough to give anyone one a migraine! Be thankful they are not new inlaws :lol: lol!!! Im just kidding, but the reason i say that and know how you are feeling is because i have a fiance who is Australian and he wanted his parents to come over to meet me not so long back. At this point in time my migraines were undiagnosed so i struggled to have a conversation with two people because i couldnt look from left to right with out the room spinning. There was no way i wanted to meet them when i was at that point so i had to be honest with my fiance and say i was sorry but it has to wait until i am in a better state of health.

Its a difficult one because like Issie said you want to do these things, and sometimes things go better than you expect.

My advice is if he sees how you struggle with Pots on a daily basis and he wants to be part of your life, then he has to except you and all the rubbish from the Pots that sadly goes with you. I would say to him you would love to come and meet his family, but he must tell them or pre warn them that the traveling and heat for you really effects you in a bad way. Say to him that the chances of you having a migraine are pretty high once you get to your destination and if you have to lay down for a few hours(or longer) you are not being rude, its just part of your condition. As soon as you have a chance to recuperate for a few hours or whatever you will be better and you can relax and enjoy getting to know them all. If he is someone special in your life he and his family shouldnt have any problems with that. If they do well thats another post...... <_<

Issie- thanks, I'm trying to make that "should I" decision now.

Diamond-- motion mate is a homeopathic remedy for motion sickness. I'm sure Issie will be back to tell you more. I'm really unsure about this trip, as I too think it would be easier to meet his family when they come visit, but he'd still like to take me. I'm afraid that I'll make a bad impression or divert plans. Mainly I'm concerned because it seems like a very busy time for the family. Also, I'm not sure exactly if there will be a quiet place to lay down and rest since the guest room sounds like it doubles as a lounge, and with an event they might need the extra room during the day, which would mean I'd have to crash someone's bed! We considered a motel stay but it sounds as if it would be a long drive to get to his mother's house, where most things are happening- which wouldn't help me out much.

One for Issie here, what exactly is Motion Mate, I would like to try it.

Yes it's a homeopathy product by Hylands and you can take it every 15 minutes for the 1st hour and then every hour thereafter until symptoms subside. I usually, only need 3 doses and I'm okay. You can't eat or drink 15 minutes before or after taking it and don't touch it with your fingers - put it in the cap and take it.

Issie

I would go...and I suffer with nausea/dizziness/vertigo, too, but you can't stop living your life or you will regret that you didn't try. I also use the motion sickness acupressure wrist bands, which help me, too. Drink plenty, and make many stops :)

Sounds like there is a lot of support for just doing what you have to do, which is how I normally go about my business.

I'm not concerned about the ride--- I'm rarely motion sick as an adult-- I feel fairly decent in the car, especially since I can make myself comfortable in the vehicle if I'm not driving. However, stops or no stops I'm still worried about the crash afterwards.

Its a difficult decision and one that you have to decide on. Maybe speak to your boyfriend about what it is exactly you are worried about happening. Tell him how you crash if he doesnt know. Like you said its nerve racking enough meeting the parents......(Theres a film title in there!)

If he really wants you to meet them and you just feel you can not go, then get them to come to you and visit you another time on your ground.

I think you need to be very mindful of your limits when traveling. For example it gets harder forme to travel in the dark/night time hours. Also if you are getting driven, at least you can put your feet up and relax in the back. Maybe ask him to leave early in the day and make stops every 2 hours or so. Pack a lounge chair in the trunk and then when you make the stops you both can find a quite spot and lounge. And definitely pack tons of cool water and sports drinks..

So I say go for it if you aren't flaring badly.. You'll have fun but just relax and take it easy there lay down/put the legs up.