Stopping Salt For Test And Feel Worse??

LMG

I have tested with low levels of renin and aldosterone which seems to me to be typical of POTS. However, the endocrinologist told me to stop salt for five days and then have it rechecked. I stopped the 6g of salt yesterday but didn't reduce any salty foods and today I feel awful....as bad as a few weeks ago. It could be a bad day of course, but I am wondering if anyone else experienced this. And then does it indicate a need for florinef?

I am also having frequent urination- wonder if that is connected.

Thanks for any insight you all may have about this.

I would think that the lack of salt today is causing the frequent urination. You are therefore probably more dehydrated and feeling the effects. As for the florinef, it does help your body retain salt and therefore stay more hydrated. I think that's a conversation to have with your doc based on whether or not you do ok just salt loading without the extra drug.

Yes, - salt will lower aldosterone levels - that's why he wants you off salt to see what your true aldosterone levels are. And yes, being off salt - you will notice it - because, you will lose fluid volumes and pee alot - because water follows salt. Out goes salt and so does fluid. Hang in There - there's only a few more days and then you'll know better what your body is truly doing. Aldosterone is what regulates your fluid levels and helps to regulate your sodium and potassium levels.

Issie

Thanks Issie. I felt so bad last night that my husband brought me a glass of gatorade with some salt. The chest pain and shortness of breath subsided and I fell asleep. I guess I really didn't think I felt that much better with increased salt but I have been consistently salt loading for several months and clearly it makes a difference. How long do we have to be off salt for a more accurate level to show up? I guess I messed up last night but will continue on today.

I do wonder though...he is trying to determine if this is primary hypoaldosterone deficiency which still won't alter the course of treatment. I have to try the florinef either way. Being so drug sensitive I am not anxious to try it but I guess the salt is a good indicator. POTS certainly is a complex illness.

LMG - We react very quickly to changes in salt in our bodies. I was a pre-vet major and when we did comparative animal nutrition, one of the things our professor stressed to us was always making sure animals in our care had adequate salt intake for their species. Some animals will stop eating and drinking within just 24 hours of being completely salt deprived because it causes such mayhem in their bodies. I always found that tidbit of information kind of scary. :blink: