Port Pain :(

The port can also do what they call migration/migrating, why not just tell us it is shifting, moving from its original placement. I had that happen and they had to finally do X-rays to confirm it. It really really hurt, they went in and placed it back where it should be and now it is wonderful. I do get a little pain from scar tissue rubbing but so much better than all the needle sticks in the arm, leg neck, groin... I have also had blood clots and been on blood thinners.

I had a Bard Power Port put in on the right side of my chest. It has been quite cantankerous from the beginning. Mine is being used to pull pints of blood due to my Polycythemia. I've had it for two years and the past 2 months nurses at Outpatient Nursing have had been able to pull only two pints of blood and rest of the tine it flushes but no blood return. Past week I've had nothing but pain extending from my port to my shoulder down into my hand 😭. Got checked for clots in both arms and my neck and they found nothing. I'm at a loss and frustrated because the more I wait to have a pint of blood drawn the worse off I am. Any thoughts or opinions I would greatly appreciate it 😊.

I have a port and remember a nurse telling me once that if they draw blood too fast, something in the catheter clamps down and then they can’t draw the blood that they need through the port. Have they tried drawing it slower? As for the pain, I don’ t have any ideas. I hope they figure it out soon.