Domperidone

My son's GI says this would be a good med to try for his nausea and GI trouble. But, he won't prescribe. He says its not legal for him to do so. I don't know if that is true or perhaps the children's hospital prohibits it? He did tell me how much to get for him if I could get it from somewhere! I found a pharmacy in Kansas that will compound it and it would be $60 a month so the cost is surprisingly reasonable. So I asked his primary, and she won't prescribe it either. She is in Missouri and when I talked to the Medicine Shoppe in Missouri they told me the Missouri Pharmaceutical board prohibits them from making it in this state, so maybe that has something to do with it but I think maybe she just doesn't know anything about it.

Frustrated!! In the meantime he is sick and still losing weight. Found out he is wearing shorts under his jeans to make them fit :( I don't want to order it from an overseas company that doesn't require a prescription.

I took domperidone for a few years for slow motility. I had to get it from Canada, as it's not FDA approved. My domperidone was prescribed by a GI doc at the Cleveland Clinic. I had to fax the script to the Canadian pharmacy. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the pharmacy as it's been quite a while. Domperidone did work for me. I was told by a naturopathic physician to try taking magnesium supplements, so I went off the domperidone. The magnesium seemed to help, so I discontinued the domperidone. I hope your son feels better.

I was having this problem too. I was ordering it from a local compounding pharmacy but the FDA stopped them from making it. Then I was ordering it from Canada but the last time I went to reorder, it said they can't ship it to the states. I was really disappointed because they had the dissolving tablets which were great when I wasn't home. I now order it from New Zealand which is a little more expensive but I get my meds. I understand why insurance won't cover it but if it really helps people, I don't get why the FDA won't approve it.

I think this med must be very difficult to get hold of in the USA! My son is traveling from the UK to New York at end of June and his travel company need him to get a Dr's letter explaining he has a prescription for Domperidone or he will have it at confiscated on entry at boarder control.

I live in Canada and just got prescribed Domperidone.....havent tried it yet as I am not sure what the effects are for? I have been having serious bloating, pain and just no movement in my GI...is it supposed to help with all this? are there any side effects? sorry you all have such a hard time getting it :(

Bren

My son has NO problem getting domperidone in the U.S. For the past 4 years he's been getting it from a compounding pharmacy called America's Compounding Center in Massachusetts. They will ship it to you. You DO need a prescription. He takes it 3 times/day and a months' supply costs $60. Here the address and phone number:

America's Compounding Center

153 California Street

Newton, MA 02458

(617)527-1563 (pnphone)

(617)527-1565 (faxfax)

Bren, I took Reglan before I was prescribed Domperidone. I had awful side effects from Reglan. I usually get the 'rare' side effects but I had none with Dom. I have a very slow intestinal tract, like completely non functioning, and this helps keep things moving.

Lenna, the FDA recently stopped the compounding pharmacy here from making it. It wouldn't surprise me if they do that at all the pharmacies. It's a shame they don't approve it.

The FDA has issues with people not "complying with its orders" Ooooo better stop this dangerous drug from crossing the border! They are making it harder and harder. I thought I saw a notice they aren't shipping from Canada anymore. As of right now, this pharmacy in Kansas makes it for about the same cost as the one in Mass. so that is good. My problem is getting a prescription for it!

I was getting it in Canada, but now get it from Mass through America's Compounding Center. I had my Cleveland Clinic GI Doctor fax them a prescription. It has worked great for me. I was unable to take Reglan-side effects horrible and Erthromycin didn't help either. I take 20mg 4xday (before meals & Bedtime). It really helps with nausea, bloating and motility. I hope you can find a doctor that will prescribe it. Good luck. Here is the address:

America's Compounding Center

153 California Street

Newton, MA 02458

(617)527-1563 (phone)

(617)527-1565 (fax)