Beaus's Lines...anyone Else?

Does anyone else have what is referred to as Beau's lines on your finger or toe nails? I have several of them only on my big toe nail. They are deep ridges or indentations that run horizontal across the nail bed. I have 2-3 at different levels on one nail and 1 on the other.

Of course it says it can be due to many things such as systemic illness, malnutrition or trauma. It's basically where the nail bed ceases to grow for an unknown period of time. The only thing I can come up with is lack of blood and oxygen to the bed for me unless I'm malnourished and don't know about it. I am under weight. Any ideas?

I have the ridges that you are referring to, and I am also underweight. I just found out that I am deficient in vitamin D, so I'm on 4,000 I.U. for a month. and then will be on 2,000 I.U.'s thereafter. I have trouble eating because of nausea and blood pooling in my stomach. I can only tolerate small frequent meals, and with all the fluids we need to drink, it is sometimes hard to accomplish an increase in my caloric intake. I am trying to be healthy, but sometimes it is hard to eat. It could be a little of both, nutrition and hypovolemia (lack of oxygenation to your extremities). ^_^ Maybe you could have some blood work done by your doctor. Vitamin B12 is another one they will check with nervous system disorders, but you could also have underlying infections, etc. I would talk with your doctor about other symptoms you may be experiencing to rule out other possible systemic issues, as well.

yep i have these lines too, didnt know they had a name!

i have a number of lines on each of my big toes. i have pots and eds. i am underweight also, due to the stomach issues both conditions present.

its getting around to may again, which time the flip flops come out. what i do for four months is file them down with an emery boards, so they nearly disappear, then coat with clear nail vanish. i do this a few times over the summer. then come september i let them go back to there natural shape, bumpy! i know this is probably not good for the nail, yet i dislike they way they look in flip flops. x

I have them, as well, just on my right thumb nail. They can get pretty deep. I noticed that I got them when I first got sick. They worsen when my symptoms worsen, get lighter when I've had a spell of feeling better. I don't know if this is just coincidence or not, but I can't help but think that it's not. I think my lines are like a barometer for my state of health.

I had a dermatologist tell me once that my lines were from my picking at my cuticles. I don't agree, sweet as she was, because I've picked my cuticles, all of them, since I was a toddler, and I have the lines on only one digit, my thumb. I think, if picking was the cause, at least one other finger, if not all of them, and my toes, would be covered.

Lindajoy

Beaus lines run across the nail - horizontally. There are also ridges or line that can run up and down the length of the nail (these are not considered Beaus lines). I have had both. I think what has helped for mine to nearly go away is using magnesium citrate at night (you have to be careful with magnesium because it can lower your bp). I also occasionaly take a calcium with assister minerals in it. Since I've been using these things - hardly have the ridges/lines now.

Issie

I have them on all my fingers and toes. I have eds, pots ncs, d and b12 diffiency , and a few other things.

I have the horizontal grooves on both of my thumbs, but I have a history of picking at the cuticles of my thumbs... don't even think about it, like a nervous habit. So, I don't know if caused by damage to the cuticles (likely) or something more. Wish Docs could put this stuff together better, like this subject and the swallowing issue that was on another post.

• 9 years later...