Svt's After Twist Or Exertion And Long Lasting Chest Pain

E246

I get SVT's - that is if they are - a sudden jump in hr to between 140-210, which sticks at that beat for 10 secs - 3 minutes then drops suddenly back to near normal. Don't seemed to have these properly diagnosed - I just seem to get passed around - but that's another story - but sure that is what they are.

Anyway - does anyone who has SVT's have chest pain/ pressure that last for up to 8 hours afterwards as well as breathlessness, burping and just feeling not well / potsie.

It happened today after twisting suddenly but normally after exertion and it wipes me out for the day.

Is it dangerous to keep having them?

Thanks

I have SVT as well as PVCs, premature ventricular contractions. To my understanding from my EP cardiologist they are considered harmless however they do need to be monitored because the frequency and duration can cause issues. My PVCs are very frequent, every 4th to 7th beat even when I am sleeping and I have atleast 2 to 3 SVT 'runs' a day which is the term he used when as you described they stick for awhile. Mine also do become painful at times and happen when I exert myself in anyway. Mine were monitored by an EP Cardiologist by wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours and then a few months later for 48 hours. I take beta blockers to try and regulate my heart rate as well as lower it. I believe this is ALL related to my Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia.

Hope that helps, I am by no means an expert and I am not sure if its what you are going through but it might give you a place to start.

Emma,

I have gotten these too, usually from lifting (trying to make supper, lifting pots, etc.). I also feel very fatigued, sob and overall potsy which carries over at least for a day. I can't remember specifically about the chest pain, I just know that I end up in bed or on the couch and I feel horrible. I'm not sure if that is because of the SVT's or because I've simply done too much and am paying the consequences.

I find these, and some of the other crazy rhythms unsettling because you can't control it. No matter how high our regular tachy goes, we know we can sit or lay down to bring our heart rate down - but these don't follow the same rules. My understanding of it, though, is that it is not dangerous unless it continues for hours. Mine seems to follow the same time frames you mentioned.

My doc has ordered a 14 day monitor for me to wear (I've been waiting weeks for it already) to investigate a little further. {I was also waking with my heart in a spasm, so they wanted to investigate all of it}. It sounds like you don't have a great doc situation. Have they done a longer term monitor for you? Have you been having these from the beginning of POTS or is this something different for you?

Yes i almost think they triggered pots full time 18 months ago but were very intermittent.

They are only maybe once or twice a week but they wipe me out with chest pain for hours.

Carrie - thanks - it does help - the thing is beta blocker drop my hr down to 50 and lower.

I had one yesterday and then one today - really upset me as it has put me out of action again. It's the pain afterwards that is the problem and I remember Rizzy saying this was not normal so am just checking if anyone else gets this.

Emma, I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this awful chest pain for this long :( No matter how much the docs say it's fine, it never feels fine and I can't help but wonder how their demeaner would change if they actually felt what we try to describe to them.

At one of my appts, I told my doc that my heart felt 'weak' one day.{this was the morning after SVT's and waking with crazy tachy} He promptly corrected me, saying "you mean you felt weak, you can't feel your heart". I might have just let that go on another day, but I couldn't, so I told him "Maybe you can't understand that because you've personally never experienced it, but I can assure you, I can feel my heart". The day that it felt weak, my heart rate went to 40 after climbing a flight of stairs which would normally send it very high. It makes sense too, doesn't it? Like any other muscle in the body, if it is overworked it feels weak afterward.

I do find that my heart is more sensitive depending on where I am in my menstrual cycle, so I know, for me at least there is some hormonal connection.

Are there any options at all for you to find a doctor who is willing to work through this with you?

I don't think someone who has no heart issues could understand the odd awareness we have. I am constantly thinking 'this feels normal, oop I am too high etc..'

My IST makes it so I don't have the traditional low HR when laying down, I am between 50 and 150 even sleeping and it has the low and high every hour. I fluctuate like crazy. I am slowly going up on the beta blockers and it looks like my highs are about 10 less than my before beta blockers high like you said my lows are also going lower. So frustrating.

Yes the heart rate alertness probably seems mad to some but my life feels so minute by minute. And no one would understand it is not an obsession but a reaction to constant pain and feeling ill.

When I feel well I don't think about it.

But had chest pain all day again. Do you get chest pain with the ist?

It is not constant chest pain but I have chest pain when I have what I lovingly refer to as tachy time. If I have a bad day with POTS symptoms and IST non stop tachy 'runs' I will end up with a dull ache for awhile. Like you said it seems like I am obsessed with what my heart is doing but I am not, I just can't help but be hyperaware because its so not right.

Yes it unsettles the way you feel.

I wear a monitor and I have had docs say i am just worrying myself but actually i find it reassuring as often i feel more ill than the hr would suggest. When i feel well i never look at it.

Just been referred back to a cardio so will see how long this will take - the randomness of the symptoms makes them hard to catch and so convince the doctor about what is happening. Also when i am well i just want to forget about it and don't have the conviction to persuade anyone as i always really believe it has gone and i am better now. This is why 12 months on i am still having very definite svt's with no proper treatment.

Also when i am well i just want to forget about it and don't have the conviction to persuade anyone as i always really believe it has gone and i am better now. This is why 12 months on i am still having very definite svt's with no proper treatment.

I can soo relate to that statement - 100%. I don't know if it's wishful thinking, denial or what ??, but I do the exact same thing!! I could have several days with horrible symptoms and if I'm having a better day on the day I go to the doctor, it completely skews how I'm presenting it to him (because I'm just thankful the horrible days are gone and I'm ready to move on...the problem is the horrible days come back). My husband has commented on this and says he understands it but he gets frustrated that I'm really not presenting a 'true' picture of how debilitating this is.