When To Take Midodrine?

micheller

I used to take omeprazole, too and was worried because it reduces the amount of acid in your stomach and I thought that it might interfere with the proper absorption of my other meds, so I always took my other meds about 30-60 minutes before I took it, to give them time to break down and digest first. No doctor told me to do that, I just figured it was logical.

If you start at a very low dosage, like 1/4 pill, it could be a good way to transition to Midodrine for minimal side effects. Many people on this forum have suggested that this has helped them, myself included. I found that the side effects were very low and manageable on the 1/4 pill dose and I am one who has major issues with many kinds of meds. ( also scared to try new ones). Good luck!

P.s. sorry if this post is kinda scattered, I have been interrupted by my toddler so many times while trying to write it...

I dont know about the omerprazole, you'd have to ask a dr.

I was prescribed Midodrine too. I'm afraid of new meds as well, have been trying to hold off but I have to do it next week.

My script is 5mg right now. I think that's a moderate dose.

My dr said that with my tests results we're going for 10-15 mg

Right now I'm at 15 mg and next week I think, I move up to 20 mg 3x a day. I started about 8 months ago 2.5 and just very gradually increased. I get the side effects like chills, goosebumps, always feeling cold. My scalp itches... They can always make me a but jittery and anxious as well.

I didn't get side effects until 5mg and there are many others that I dont get that I didn't mention, I take mine 3-4x a day because the effects don't last long with me. 2-3 hours max (closer to 2).

It hasn't been a "cure" for my symptoms by any standards... But I can sit up longer and it does keep my blood pressure higher, so more alert I think. I was also on Florinef and Mestinon which didn't work for me due to side effects that weren't as tolerable for me as Midodrine. I have heard of people having very positive results from posts on this board with those two- not advising just relaying info I've heard if Midodrine doesn't work out, good luck and feel free to ask any questions!!!!

Jen

5 mg is considered a low dose for 'normal' people who don't have trouble with meds. If you are like me and have to take pediatric sized dosages of meds, (and they are still perfectly effective) then it could be a high one to just start out with. That is great that your doctor suggested to start low and go up from there.

Shoegal-sorry, I guess it is actually 1.25mg. I cut it in half at the scored line, then cut those halves in half. It isn't easy and the pills are a bit chalky, so sometimes they don't cut perfectly and I have to put little bits and slivers together in what appears to be the correct quarter-of-a-pill size when swallowing it.

For a month now I've been taking 5 mg of Midodrine four times a day...hoping we'll increase it (the dose) at my follow-up this week. I felt great the week just before my period for the first time in a long time - years probably, but it was the only week all month I felt that good.

Personally, I've not had any negative side effects and have definitely noticed some increased energy and decrease in the POTSiness. I'm also normally someone who has to take very small doses of most medications - or at least start with very small doses and build up. I've not had issues with Midodrine, though, for whatever reason.

I take Ranitidine (generic Zantac) for the acid, and I take my first Midodrine as soon as I wake up and then take my Zantac an hour or so later and two hours before the next Midodrine.

I take Midodrine 10mg 3-4xday spacing between 4-5 hours. I have the side effects, but being able to walk, work and get out of the house out weigh the side effects. Good luck and I am in agreement with others, go slow, low and spread out your medications. Good luck :) .