Help...unequal Pupils!!

bellgirl

My friend and I were praying yesterday, and she noticed that my right pupil was larger than my left. My vision was blurred in that eye, too, which happens when I am symptomatic. I called my ANS doctor today about it, and sent them this picture that my friend took and she told me to call my neurologist. Does anyone have this? And if you do and are on SSRI's, then it is a normal side effect of that according to my ANS doctor. I am not on SSRI's. Since stroke runs in my family, I'm slightly concerned, because I also had a crawling sensation on the right side of my head, too! Thanks for your time....Here is my photo on flickr... Joy, Kim

Unequal pupils

My aunt had it, it can be serious. My aunt needed eyedrops and got it fixed, she didn't have stroke, but it needs to be checked. I'd call my family doctor (that's how things work in the Netherlands, you see your family doctor first and s/he refers you if necessary).

Hope it will work out well!

My pupils usually are noticeably always on the larger side. SSRI's made this worse and was part of the reason I discontinued. My doctor said it was part of too much sympathetic activity. I have had it where they are different sizes like yours but they have gotten better. In my experience, the lousier I feel the more dilated my pupils are. I hate fluorescent lighting because of this reaction. I think its all part of dysautonomia and its listed as a symptom on some sites.

However, the crawling sensation you have might be of some concern. I do not have that but maybe others do. I do not think it would hurt to get that checked out.

I echo the others. I would call my primary or go to the er, especially if you don't feel right and with your family history. It can take a while to see a neuro, your primary may be able to expidiate it, but I wouldn't wait to have at least your primary look at it. If it isn't urgent, then followup with a neuro as your doctor said. If at all possible try to find a neuro that specializes in autoimmune neuromuscular diseases like ms and polyneuropathies. They are equipped to look at many different causes. Neurologists tend to specialize in different subspecialties so they are not all equal.

There is also a condtion called adie's pupils, if you want to look that up. Take care and let us know your okay!

I've had this forever...it's called anisocoria. My ophthalmologist discovered this years ago...told me to review old pictures with red-eye to see how long I've had it. Surprise -- found some pictures that showed that I've had this since I was a kid. From what I understand...it's just an ANS thing...nothing huge to worry about. If you really want to get it checked out...find a good neuro-opthalmologist.

Thanks guys...I've always had more dilated pupils, but not unequal...my ANS doctor wasn't alarmed, but thought I should see my neurologist. My neurologist said the next cancelled appointment will be mine, (he specializes in MS/dizziness) and then I was told to go to the ER. I am NOT going to the ER; I know better than that, unless I have other really bad symptoms. I like my neurologist...maybe I need a neuro/opthamologist?! I always have blurred vision that is transient, and so is the pupil dilation, which I think are connected. I'm a nurse. Just found a site on Adie's pupils yesterday...thanks arizona girl. I'm doing a lot of research!! If my symptoms get worse, I will go to the ER...the last time I went to the ER, I was coughing up frank blood, and was there for 8 hours!!...and then they said I had a mass on my lung, (scary), which was supposedly bronchitis!! Crazy. I'm convinced that was blood pooling, with a bronchospasm, because of the dysautonomia...so this is probably related to dysautonomia. Has anyone ever heard of CCSVI (Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency)? Just found out about this...very complicated. Has something to do with increased inflammation and high cytokines. Has anyone ever had a Functional MRI? Or an Angiogram?

Unequal pupils can be a symptom of pressure on the brain. Unequal pupils is how they discovered my cousin's daughter's subarachnoid cyst. It can cause severe damage if not treated and it can even be life-threatening. Personally, if the neurologist told me to go to the ER with that symptom, I'd go. Nothing to fool around with! (My cousin's daughter has a shut to drain the cyst now.)

Thanks Humbled Pie, but I was just there a couple of weeks back, and had an MRI and MRA done less than a year ago, so I'm thinking I should be Ok before the next cancelled appointment, because I'm not having any other symptoms, and the dilation is transient; it isn't staying that way. I've had vision problems for 14 years, so it is nothing new, other than the unequal pupil in dim light that comes and goes.

Thanks Humbled Pie, but I was just there a couple of weeks back, and had an MRI and MRA done less than a year ago, so I'm thinking I should be Ok before the next cancelled appointment, because I'm not having any other symptoms, and the dilation is transient; it isn't staying that way. I've had vision problems for 14 years, so it is nothing new, other than the unequal pupil in dim light that comes and goes.

My family doc and Neuro didnt seem that concerned about it. Mine is the same way its only sometimes not constant. You will be fine.

Mine are like that too. Mine also get really dilated, it's scary looking. When I first seen my GI, he did the light test to see if my pupils constricted with light and they didn't. I'm guessing that's why I have bad light sensitivity? My neuro hasn't said anything about uneven pupils though.

Thanks you guys...Monstrosity and Michelle, when your eyes are dilated, is your vision blurry, as well?

Issie, thanks for the tip. I was tested for all kinds of autoimmune diseases, when I first had symptoms by a rheumatologist years ago, and my neurologist also within the last year checked for several autoimmune issues and never found anything. My autonomic doctor says this is atypical for dysautonomia, but we all know there is a disease entity when you have a disorder. Still searching and researching...I also have droopy eyelids on occasion when I am very symptomatic. When I'm not smiling my face is asymmetrical, too...something with my facial nerves possibly. I keep going back to Horner's syndrome, but I haven't had this all my life either. Still questioning all the time, trying to find answers!!

Thanks you guys...Monstrosity and Michelle, when your eyes are dilated, is your vision blurry, as well?

Issie, thanks for the tip. I was tested for all kinds of autoimmune diseases, when I first had symptoms by a rheumatologist years ago, and my neurologist also within the last year checked for several autoimmune issues and never found anything. My autonomic doctor says this is atypical for dysautonomia, but we all know there is a disease entity when you have a disorder. Still searching and researching...I also have droopy eyelids on occasion when I am very symptomatic. When I'm not smiling my face is asymmetrical, too...something with my facial nerves possibly. I keep going back to Horner's syndrome, but I haven't had this all my life either. Still questioning all the time, trying to find answers!!

sometimes, I've noticed that when im having sensory overload is when the dilation is the worst

As I said in my introduction thread, I have anisocoria. It freaked me out at first but I've learned its just me.

I think any time someone notices they have this they should have the nessasary tests run to rule out anything serious because it can. Once they've been through the gambit though, they can just accept that it's part of who they are and not worry so much.

That's what worked for me anyway.

Now this morning I've noticed the blurring depends on the position of my neck...that tells me that it has to do with circulation, so I think it is the hypovolemia, since it has gotten a lot warmer here. Here's to fluid loading....Cheers!! :rolleyes: I think maybe I should get an ultrasound of my carotids, too, to be on the safe side. Thanks for all your input!! :)

I forgot to add that I have hippus too. I wonder if many of us have that don't know it because its not something we can really see. My pupil looks like it vibrates when it is trying to make a light adjustment. Its odd and scares people if they notice it but I've just accepted it's yet another weird thing about me.

Thanks Steph and Rama...it was my friend who noticed my pupils were unequal. I always knew I had the ptosis and more dilated pupils than the average person, and actually was checked for myasthenia gravis, too, but that test is not always conclusive. It is when I am very symptomatic, fatigued and weak, that it happens, but I also have stroke and aneurysm risk with my family history, and so much of this resembles that, too, so I am extra careful. I noticed the blurry vision can be affected by the position of my neck just lately, so my anatomy is NOT helping in this. I have kyphosis, as well, which I found out by accident having a chest xray when I coughed up blood years ago...lol. If it's not one thing, it's something else...never boring ;)