New Problem :(

Kayla:

My daughter has POTS and also has a Vitamin D defiency. From what I have researched, this appears to be a common problem with POTS patients. She has been taking a Vitamin D supplement for a few months now. I do believe it has helped her feel a little bit better.

Two years ago my son's vitamin D number was 7 ! He was so very exhausted(more so than usual) and couldn't lift his head off his pillow. Once he started taking daily vitamin D supplements his exhaustion was better, although now is vitamin D is normal he is back to being exhausted. Hopefully you will notice an improvement with vitamin D supplements.

Christy

My rheume found critically low vitamin D level in me. I have osteoarthritis and osteopenia. I was taking calcium with vitamin D daily and a medication for the osteopenia. Apparently it had not been enough. Here in the midwest, we have a lot of months with cloudy cold days (and now with the OH, I have to watch being out and about in the heat). I was on a Rx Vitamin D for awhile and then my levels came up (and have stayed up just back with my calcium and vitamin D). I have it checked periodically. Rheume told me winter is best time to check as that's when it's usually at its lower end. I have also added more dark green leafy veggies to diet. DH's PCP found critically low vitamin D in him, too, years later. He had to take the Rx as well. Who knows how long we'd been that way. Vitamin D def. can also make you more sensitive to pain.

It's not dangerous. :) Mine was 11 I think. I just take a supplement too. The ones with lactose in them upset my stomach, so you just have to find a brand you like.

Hi Kayla,

I'm trying to reassure you - just like everyone else - that this is no big deal, and it seems to be a common complaint of POTS patients.

My vit d level was 22 in January (normal being somewhere between 80-100 ...in whatever units the lab I went to measures them) and now it's in the 90's. I took 5000 IU a day since mid January until the end of march, now i'm down to 3000 IU a day.

Your dr will definitely help you fix this minor problem. Just keep in mind that some people have a hard time tolerating a daily high dose of vit D, so again this must be addressed by your physician.

Bringing your levels up might help in more than one way - for me it helped with some muscle aches I was complaining about, and my energy level seemed to have also increased.

On top of taking pills, a bit of sunshine B) should also help.

Best of luck.

Alex

Me too. Mine was 5 and 2 weeks of 50,000 a day brought it up no problem. Getting your levels up is easy and can only make you feel better. I used to get these shocks, I guess you could call them, that would flow down my arms. Like a duller version of a static shock. Vitamin D got rid of them.

My cousin is an endocrinologist. I was telling him about my vitamin D being low and being prescribed 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D once a week. I told him I was worried about toxicity. Here's what he had to say

"Vitamin D has actually two forms, cholecalciferol and Ergocalciferol, well as you know them; vitamin D3 and vitamin D2. You are right in my alley; this is all about Endocrinology. Actually; Vitamin D is not a vitamin at all; I am not sure why they claim it is; Vitamin D is a hormone. It is true; that Vitamin D3 is hard to find, but Mayo Clinic does carry it; just contact them about it. Now, vitamin D is not beneficial in all its forms. Vitamin D2, one of the forms of vitamin D can be toxic to the body. Vitamin D3 is good for the body. You can get vitamin D from fortified foods or as pills. However, vitamin D3 is only available in the form of pills or in liquids. They are rarely found in foods."

25(OH)D Blood test results

Vitamin D Status

ng/ml nmol/L Severely Deficient 0-10 0-25 Deficient 11-20 26-50 Low-normal 21-32 51-81 Normal 33-49 82-124 Optimum 50-65 125-163 High, but not toxic 66-100 164-250 Toxicity possible above 100 above 250