Why you Need an Attorney for disability

Sophia3

Here is a great post about WHY YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY for hearings. I hope this helps people on the fence or considering all the hoop jumping and wall hitting to get Soc Sec. You can't take any of it personally!!!

~~~~~~~

The issues raised at a hearing are far more likely to be about

points of law than about you. You need an attorney because

those points won't be raised if you are not there. The ALJ will

have the DDS decision against your claim in front of him, with

no counteracting legal opinion to consider if there is no attorney.

If there is a vocational expert, you want your attorney to raise

any needed clarifications, since you are not invited to speak during

the hypotheticals (no matter how much you want to explode!)

Your attorney may ask you questions that will bring out the most

important factors of your case, which you would not have known were

the critical elements to mention.

Perhaps most important, if you can represent yourself, then why

can't you work? Demonstrating competence will not work for you

in this situation.

Sophia, this is some excellent advice. You are right. I couldn't represent myself properly for many reasons. One, I don't know what the heck I am doing. Two, I don't have the strength or energy or concentration(it's hard enough to write on here sometmes). I really appreciate you putting things into perspective for me. I guess I was just thinking about how much money I would lose, but i would lose it all anyway because I would never get approved on my own, so it will be money worth spent. It is just such an issue with us right now(money) as I am sure it is with anyone in this situation.

You mentioned a vocational expert-what exactly is that? I have a general idea but not quite sure what they do in this situation. (another reason I shouldn't represent myself).

Heck, I would probably collapse in the middle of the hearing-I may anyway even with an attorney. :blink:

Once again, thanks for opening my Potsy eyes :) I don't think I am thinking very clearly right now between the pots and the stress I am a mess.

Danelle

Danelle,

That was not my post BUT a post of somebody VERY VERY WISE and astute about the Soc Security System.

Actually, I don't know what a vocational expert is except a person paid to PROVE a claimant can do SOMETHING for a living. Like many can't do their original job, so some 'vocational expert' says you can sit and do this for a few hours.

So an attorney that knows your illness could argue those points in court. Attorneys are paid to think quickly on their feet. Sometimes they know the judges and know what to expect in making a presentation.

Yes, better to lost 25% of BACK pay to a lawyer than to live on ZERO pay. LOL.

Good luck in getting your appeal started ASAP.

btw, What state are you in? have you investigated good disability attorneys in your area?

Sophia, this is some excellent advice.  You are right.  I couldn't represent myself properly for many reasons.  One, I don't know what the heck I am doing. Two, I don't have the strength or energy or concentration(it's hard enough to write on here sometmes).  I really appreciate you putting things into perspective for me.  I guess I was just thinking about how much money I would lose, but i would lose it all anyway because I would never get approved on my own, so it will be money worth spent.  It is just such an issue with us right now(money) as I am sure it is with anyone in this situation.

You mentioned a vocational expert-what exactly is that? I have a general idea but not quite sure what they do in this situation.  (another reason I shouldn't represent myself). 

Heck, I would probably collapse in the middle of the hearing-I may anyway even with an attorney. :blink:

Once again, thanks for opening my Potsy eyes :)  I don't think I am thinking very clearly right now between the pots and the stress I am a mess.

Danelle