Article on Benefits of Salt

Gena

Hi All. It's not often that you come across an article/website touting the benefits of sea salt and how vital it is to our bodies. We are so used to hearing about how Americans consume too much salt, etc. I realize most consumers use table salt and not sea salt, but nonetheless, it was refreshing to read this article.

Benefits of Salt Article

It's a long one, but worth the read. :) Have a blessed day everyone.

Gena,

I don't have time to finish the article right now, but what I read was fascinating and I will return to it as soon as I can. Since I need to re-order my sea salt anyway, I ordered the one they recommend - great timing!

It appears that salt may be involved in so many more of the difficulties that we dysautonomics face than I had ever considered: blood sugar, sleeping, energy, food absorption, brain function, etc. . . .

Big thanks for finding and posting this great info!

Undoubtedly salt is essential to life/bodily functions. There are some interesting historical facts stated in this piece. Indeed it is known that we POTS patients benefit symptomatically by increasing salt intake over what is generally recommended (and most Americans overconsume sodium and would not benefit from additional salt intake in any form).

Related to the post on osteoporosis, though, there are studies that show that overconsumption of salt can lead to loss of bone density.

Just some thoughts!

Katherine

Yes Katherine, some studies do point to excess salt as a contributor to osteoporosis - thanks for mentioning that. I've also read that too little salt or water in the diet can be a factor as well. As with any nutrient or supplement, it's important to examine each person's "bio-individuality", as we all have unique conditions and needs when it comes to our health. Unfortunately, there's not a one-size fits all solution. I wish there were! I think the key is finding balance and moderation. :)

I think it's also important to point out that most people are using the typical table salt, which is really not the true product as found in nature - it is stripped down to just one basic element (sodium chloride, I think - ??). Real sea salt retains its mineral properties, and therefore the synergistic qualities are available to help the body utilize it properly. The chances of "overdose" of salt are greatly lessened when using the natural product.