Is Flying Lying Down A Possibility?

sue1234

I would like to apply to NIH regarding my hypoglycemia, but it would be a 20 hour drive for us. I would fly, but I can't sit straight up in a chair, plus the lightheaded-when-nervous issue. If I bought three seats would the airline let me lie down the whole trip?

Yeah, they will let you lie down in the seats as long as you keep the seat belt one. I have flown back from Hawaii and there was an empty row - lucky me - and I lay across them and slept the whole way home. But, I'm okay on shorter trips too. If you get up and walk to the bathroom about once an hour and make sure that you have water to drink - you may be okay. That would be about 3-4 hour trip right - on a plane. I take a pillow to go around my neck and a back pillow and do just fine - I get the airplane pillows to prop up my arms and make a little nest to sit in. The more comfy you can make it the better you can take it.. :)

Issie

I know when you take off and land, they always tell everyone to pull there seats straight up, so I was wondering if there was a policy about needing to sit up during those times? I would love to get the trip done in a few hours versus two days. The only other problem is I need a cool temp, and I'm afraid it might be too warm.

Sue, there is a policy to sit straight up at those times. Reason is more crashes occur on take off and landing - if you need to get into crash position - the person behind you has to have space to bend over and brace. It's not a long time to have to be upright - as soon as you're in the air you can lay your seat back.

Issie

Things to watch out for too - from what I recall airlines are not required to sell you empty seats - in other words, if (for example) there is a shortage of seats, they can put people in "your" seats without your permission. I recall a guy who was waiting for his family, they didn't make the flight, and he tried to refuse to let the airline take his extra three seats away and they said "nope, it's our policy" and that was that. So you may want to check and make it super-obvious that you want these seats for you to lie down for medical reasons.

When my dad's wife's mother moved from CA to TX they got an air ambulance flight, which was covered by insurance. But those things are super expensive.