Dysautomia and Math

Hi!

I'm new here! ;) I'm a college student and I was just wondering if there is a link between dysautonomia and Math. I'm managing ok in college, but having a terrible time trying to understanding Math-related subjects. I have been told that dysautonomia does cause this problem... Does anyone face this as well? Is there any literature on this or something?

Thanks!

Hi

This condition can cause cognitive problems. I don't know about math in particular. When I was most sick with POTS I had trouble with cognitive skills that involved thinking through any kind of complex problem. I do remember having some problems with simple math--I seemed to have trouble doing simple things like putting together grant applications and submitting reimbursement requests if there were too many numbers involved it was easy for me to make a mistake, and I didn't usually have that problem. I am a lot better now. Hopefully you will improve soon. I have read that low salt intake in POTS/NMH patients increases cognitive problems. Are you keeping up with your salt and fluid intake? Perhaps that would help.

Katherine

Guest tearose

joanne, hi and welcome!

I don't know of any specific literature that speaks to math and pots. There is plenty of literature on cognitive issues, brain fog, memory and thinking skills. I would say I have an aversion to math when I am symptomatic...but all thinking skills are hard when I am not doing well.

Try to take the math task and break it down into smaller steps. Try to find a time of day when you are more able to focus and do math then. A good deal of life with dysautonomia is finding ways to manage through behavioral modifications. For example: although you consider yourself a morning person socially maybe you would benefit from a night course in the math you need? Or vice versa...just a thought to consider.

Good luck in figuring it out! Be patient with yourself!

best regards, tearose

I'm back in school very part time and I haven't had any problems with my math classes (and I've taken some advanced classes). But I do think that my math classes caused some problems with my POTS. One of my major syptoms is angina and when I was taking math classes I often experienced angina during the class. This didn't happen so often when I took other classes. I told my cardiologist about it (I thought maybe it had something to do with the room temperature). He told me that their was a study done and working math problems caused angina in people with heart conditions!!! Go figure, I love math and it's easy for me, yet I missed more math classes than any other subject. :)

Bren

After I had a few bad spells in a row, I absolutely lost my ability to do math in my head. When I told my neurologist, he wasn't surprised and added "acalculalia" to the list to that day's diagnoses. It was back to the flash cards and counting on fingers. Ha-I lost a bit of credibility when I would tell people that I had homeschooled my sons k-12!

When you consider the low oxygen levels that our brains succumb to during blood pressure drops, it's a wonder that we can even count, much less calculate. Good for you to keep trying. Our brains were created to recover well, with work. God bless. -Deb