Question About Bp Spike

I was wondering about bp spikes. Normally I have low bp around 90/60. On thursday when my visiting nurse came I was dealing with bad headache dizzy spells, etc.. When she took my bp it was 162/115 and my heart rate was 105 laying down. She said she was calling my Dr. The Dr's office called later and wanted me to go to er. I refused because about a hour after she left my bp went back down. They told me there's a chance I suffered a minor stroke and check my bp every hour or so. If it spikes again call 911. Well my bp has stayed low since then but I still have a headache, and my pulse is going higher than normal. Going to 160 quickly when standing. I dont think I had a stroke but they made worried about it. does anyone else thats hypotensive have high spikes at time's. I'm not on any new meds, under anymore stress, doing any new activity's. Just wondering

Mine does this all the time - but, I stay in the higher bp and higher hr range more than not - but, can also go very low. I don't know what causes it other than I'm in the HyperPOTS category and have high NE levels. It does give you a massive headache and a horrible anxiety feeling. I have had what they thought were TIA's - had two of them. So, it is possible to have the little mini strokes - went to the ER with one of them and they did find a brain tumor - but, that's not what caused my issues. They just keep a watch on that and although it is growing they don't think it's causing problems. So, only thing I know is high NE (noriepi) levels. I'm taking clonidine now for it and it's been almost a week and I'm starting to level out a little and the bad side effects I was having are getting less. I was having surges every hour - including when I was TRYING to sleep. It was really getting to me and had to try something. So far, so good. Have they done a catecholamine test on you?

Issie

• 1 month later...

I have spikes also that will land me in the hospital. Last bad spike we decided to go from 3 liters to 2 and slow it down to a last over 24 hours. Now I

have technical assistance something new with POTS patients to make sure I don't go into CHS. It's a bedside computer that does all your vital signs every

day.Then you send them off to be read and flagged for the doctor when something is out of range. Also the nurse behind the technical assistance calls for

details when your nurse can't be there for all the details. When they are worried an ambulance has been sent by the dr.

I like accessing my port once a day now, less complicated for me. My urine usually is colored from my vitamins. Would love to know more people on

hydration. Hope all is well with you goodnuff77 ... Have a great day all ~ The sun is finally out where I am : ) makes me feel a bit better.

I'm so sorry you have something "new" to deal with but frankly, a bp of 162/115 is NOT DANGEROUS and doesn't cause a stroke. I know it is scary as it is a new complications, but it is really not a biggie short-term at all.

Normally my bp is it 170/100, even taking overdoses of bp meds and clonidine, on a good day (hyper-POTS). I don't worry.

I have had spikes of 250/142 yet was sent home from the ER when lowered to 190/110. An ER will laugh at a woman (not a man) who enters with bp of 162/115 and thinks they had a stroke. They've laughed at me with much higher bp and sent me home. Without saline I might add.

I agree that most likely dehydration/low blood volume could contribute/cause the spikes. And most logically, your increase in activity. Keeping a journal and noting how much water you've drunk, your salt intake, if you've stood up too long that week, etc. to find triggers to bp spikes.

Again, I can't imagine your nurse or doctor sending you to the ER with bp of 162/115. They sound clueless about the ER. Your doctor should have SEEN YOU instead.

Good luck but no stroke worries! Keep us informed.

Doctors told me to not worry unless mine went to 200/100. I haven't hit that high on the top, but hit the bottom one all the time. Clonidine has seemed to level mine out some. Finding the right amount to take has been a lot of trial and error. But, I'm staying more level and in a better range now.

I don't understand why they think it's okay for a woman to have higher levels and not okay for a man. I don't get that type of thinking.

Issie

I've had my blood pressure be really low then during the next few minutes it spikes up. I was thinking that maybe the body is reacting to the low blood pressure and a it "over reacts" thus raising blood pressure really high for a few minutes..??

I've had my blood pressure be really low then during the next few minutes it spikes up. I was thinking that maybe the body is reacting to the low blood pressure and a it "over reacts" thus raising blood pressure really high for a few minutes..??

That's what's so weird about mine. I can be 168/116 one minute and within 30 minutes of not taking anything or changing anything be 90/72. So, I was swinging wildly all over the place. When it drops down of course the tacky kicks in to bring it back up. The clonidine is leveling out these wild swings and keeping things more level.

Issie

Are you on medication for hypertension? I agree that it is probably not a concern for stroke. Mine has been that high many times, and yes, I feel awful, have a headache, and I've over done it physically, and am under some stress, etc., and the doctor changed my dose of medication, but by no means put me into the hospital. Here are some stroke symptoms....Do you have any weakness on one side or trouble seeing or forgetting hours at a time, more than "normal" or numbness in your limbs, or unable to walk? Do you have trouble with your speech or eating or facial paralysis? All of these things together would be indicative of stroke...doesn't sound like this to me. I would not worry, but certainly check back with your doctor as instructed.

In my case,I didn't go into all the details, but I have certain ranges preset for my medical conditions @ this stage of my illness. Let's just say I'm in

the delicate flower stage if you get the idea. We are all different, there are many things besides a stroke my doctors are looking for when they send me

in. Everyone takes it very seriously, and sometimes it is minutes that saves a life when you second guess what is going on. I'll let anyone have a good

laugh, but I've only seen compassion, caring doctors and nurses who say I'm just so young and would I like to be resuscitated should the need arise.

Wish my Dad went in time...maybe he'd still be here today... Listen to your docs, understand your current medical situation and know your family history

too.

Have a good day everyone. : )The sun is out again, let's all dance and don't forget the eclipse....those of you who are lucky enough to view it. ; )