Compression Stockings Maybe Not A Good Idea?

~Naomi~

Well, they made me feel worse anyway, so I don't use them. But just wanted to put this out there because I know a lot of us have neuropathy and I've read several articles that say stockings may not be a good idea for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_stockings#cite_note-10

Contraindications

Under no circumstance should those with advanced peripheral obstructive arterial disease, congestive heart failure, septic phlebitis, oozing dermatitis and advanced peripheral neuropathy be wearing compression stockings.[11]

http://www.hearthealthywomen.org/treatment-and-recovery/pvd-treatment-and-recovery/compression-stockings.html

Women with diabetes that has caused nerve problems in the legs (peripheral neuropathy) should not wear compression stockings because they may not be able to notice symptoms of poor blood flow in the legs.

Ugh! I HATE mine! When I have to be out for a while in my wheelchair I will wear them.. But they make me so uncomfortable. And the strength that Mayo wants me to wear is just too much. REALLY strong knee highs (like 2nd from the highest) and then black leggings over those one grade down from my knee highs and an abdominal binder on top of that. No fun!

Jen

Naomi,

I've posted about this several times - about how I felt like the compression hose made my neuropathy worse. I think the compressing of the nerves when there is already issues with them - makes them dysfunction worse. I've gone without them for a while and now with getting off of glutten and all grains and not wearing the hose - except for dress and if I will have to stand any length of time - just in every day around - I don't wear them. My feeling has started to come back in my feet and legs and I do attribute some of the issues to the wearing of the compression hose.

Issie

If you still have them in a box and upopened they will take them back.

Issie

of course not... I put them all on and wore them. I will say though if these helped at all try the athletic Jobst. They are more like a tight cotton sock. If I have to wear a compression stalking these will be it.

i don't have neuropathy and LOVED wearing my compression hose and abdominal binder. they really made a difference to me. not that i could walk much better (as in longer) but they helped to stay seated longer which was a huge bonus!

If you still have them in a box and upopened they will take them back.

Issie

of course not... I put them all on and wore them. I will say though if these helped at all try the athletic Jobst. They are more like a tight cotton sock. If I have to wear a compression stalking these will be it.

Hang on to them - if you find that you will have to be up and on your feet more - you might want to wear them. Of course, you could try to sell them like on Craigs List or something - But, you might wish you had them later on. I do wear mine off and on.

Issie

I find this interesting due to the complication I had from them. I was perscribed them at the hightest compression (waist high ones) , and after only a couple days of wearing them I devloped severe itching and swelling of my right leg. After about the 4th day I stopped wearing them all togather and made a appointment with my pediatrician. When I went my appt she suspected a blood clot and sent me to the emergency room. Luckily it was not a blood clot, but was told that the compression was too much for my body to handle. Ironicly it only affected my right leg, but could of spread to the left if I continued to wear them.

BUT my case was very rare and most people are fine when wearing them. I don't want this to scare anyone. I was advised to just wear them now when my condition is bad enough to warrant me having to put them on. I no longer wear them every day, like I was. I am in now position of giving medical advice and if your compression stockings work for you then please continue to follow your doctor advice with them. Just me personally, I did not have a good experience.

Interesting. My guess is that most dysautonomia patients do not have advanced peripheral neuropathy. I looked this up and it means loss of sensation and extreme pain. I have or had regular peripheral neuropathy - my ams and legs used to turn almost black when i first got POTS. That doesnt hAppen anymore, tho they do turm brightnrd sometimes. Interesting that I have swelling in just my right ankle foot. I developed this a few years ago out of the blue. I don't always wear stockings - there have been months/years when I don't wear them and then weeks where I do. Wonder if it's related.

I have found compression stockings to be a huge help for my POTS sympoms. I can wear them during a flare instead of taking a beta blocker, or in addtion to taking a beta to keep up my BP. But hey don't always help people with dysautonomia. Like everything else it is trial and error.

Interesting. My guess is that most dysautonomia patients do not have advanced peripheral neuropathy. I looked this up and it means loss of sensation and extreme pain.

Yes, I wondered about this. Like what's the difference between regular and advanced neuropathy. In my case the neuropathy does cause a lot of pain. I think the key is that all treatment approaches should be individualized. I think Doctors don't always look at things on a case by case basis and may recommend the standard POTS treatments to all their patients - that in some cases could actually make a person worse.