Diet Soda Reaction?

I felt horrible yesterday and thought it could just be me or that I overdid it or it was just a bad day, but I have been thinking about what I ate that day. I had quite a bit of diet coke because we were at a restaurant and they just kept filling it up so I drank more than I should have. I have also noticed after drinking diet pepsi I get some weird feelings in my chest and kind of feel ill but have always attributed it to just me being "weird".

Anyone else have these reactions?? I would be really interested to hear your thoughts and experiences!

I eat a mostly healthy diet with minimal processed foods, so I am thinking the diet soda is like poison to me.

Did you have ice in your drink? I can't drink anything with ice, either. I rarely drink soda. Lemonade is a good alternative at a restaurant. Ginger ale settles your stomach, if you like soda. I agree with the caffeine answer being the culprit. I drink sports drinks, vitamin water and Sobe. :)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

This is just one short article Wyoming gal. Not trying to scare you, but most artificial sweetners are bad for you. Even the ones that they say are okay. Like Splenda is actually a bleached sugar and goes through a terrible chemical process. So I tried stevia which is all natural, but unfortunately for me it made me feel really strange and had neurological problems from it. But most can use it with zero problems. So I now just go with plain old water and go straight for the sugar if I have too. :) But of course it's not for everyone. I also make my own herbal tea and then I can put my own small amount of sugar in. I like agave as a sugar substitute, it's a natural sugar, but it doesn't give you the sugar surge like most sugars do. But aspartame...is poison. Good observation on your part.

I had a very bad reaction to sugar free gum - chewed too much in one day and had an over $3,000 hospital visit. It was the aspartame and my sensitivity to glutamates.

My sister-in-law is a diabetic and she can use agave without it spiking her blood sugar. But, it does have the calories. I use stevia and do fine with it.

Issie

Thanks for the replies. I know it wasn't the caffeine because I am fine with coffee. I have read aom disturbing things about aspartame and will not be choosing those drinks again!

My chiropractor said I could try diet rite because it doesn't have aspartame to see if it's all artificial sweeteners I have a sensitivity to, or just aspartame. She also mentioned a stewardess who told her that pilots are advised to not drink it do due possible neurological effects and the potential of the toxicity of diet sodas due to changing temperatures and the chemical reactions that can occur, plus carbonated drinks can dehydrate you. Interesting! I could have killed for a water about an hour after lunch!

Also, anyone she sees with migraines, she tells to remove all artificial sweeteners to see if there will be an improvement.

Glad you were able to read it Wyoming gal! I just seem to have issues with any chemicals. I never used to be like this. But I guess I didn't need those bad chemicals in my body anyhow. For us it's best to eat as healthy as possible. But I can't seem to kick a chocolate donut once in a while. haha