Alternative Therapies -- Massage?

Interesting article in our local paper this morning about the benefits of massage therapy; one being increased and better circulation. Wondering if anyone with OH or POTS has tried it regularly and seen some improvement from it. I would imagine along with regular exercise (whatever we can manage in our particular circumstances), it might help. Since I am in the process of tapering off of Florinef, I'd like to employ anything in the arsenal I can to get me feeling ok through the taper and better afterwards so I don't need the Florinef. In fact, I have an appointment with a integrative medicine doc in the next few weeks so I'm really excited about what he might suggest.

I've done both Massage Therapy and Accupuncture. Both have helped from time to time. After my first Accupuncture session I thought I was fixed, and then it slowly came back after a few days. As far as massage goes, yes it helps but its not huge for me. I usually wait for real rough spells and then get a massage to minimize my symptoms.

I have been seeing a massage therapist regularly since the onset of my POTS. I do find it helps for a few days afterwards, though right afterwards I usually get a headache, increased heart rate and usually nap. I asked her to save some focus for my legs and arms and I do think, at least in the short term, it helps improve circulation. Plus, who doesnt want to get an hour massage regularly? ;)))

I feel great, symptom free during massage ( which is one of only times ), and I am not symptom free lying down normally. I suspect it is venous return plus being flat plus relaxation. I am dizzy on standing after, drink LOTS of fluid, and try to lie around that evening while feeling better. But it does not last to next day. I like incredibly deep tissue massage.

• 2 months later...

I found cranial sacral massage to be helpful like other people mentioned for 2-3 days. I have found Atlas Orthogonal chiropractic to improve symptoms for about a week when I'm bad and 3-4 weeks when I'm doing better. Both relax the muscles at the base of my skull and neck which seem to bring my heart rates down fairly well. I definitely feel like I'm getting better oxygen flow to my brain with both techniques and probably combined would be the most effective. But $100 an hour for massage and $65 an adjustment needing them once a week can definitely add up!

My daughter says she actually feels worse after a massage. I couln't figure out why until this morning when I read an article that said that when you get a deep tissue massage that it breaks open mast cells and releases histamine. Not a problem for the general population but if you have a mast cell issue (which we believe she does) then no wonder she doesn't feel good after a massage.

That's interesting jpjd59, I have had horrible reactions to deep tissue massage. I never really understood why? I don't think I have mast cell issues though, but one of my first symptoms of Pots were brought out by a lower leg massage at the nail salon and after a full body deep tissue. I would basically have what felt like a panic attack.

My daughter says she actually feels worse after a massage. I couln't figure out why until this morning when I read an article that said that when you get a deep tissue massage that it breaks open mast cells and releases histamine. Not a problem for the general population but if you have a mast cell issue (which we believe she does) then no wonder she doesn't feel good after a massage.

Sort of the same thing havppens to me. I had my last massage about 9 years ago -- just before I got really sick -- and the area he had massaged heavily -- my back was bright red and burning afterwards (it took a few hours for the redness/burning feeling to start). Now I look back and think it was pressure urticaria caused by release of histamines. (I have dermographism all the time -- meaning I can deliberately scratch myself and the scratch will appear after a few minutes raised and red). I understand this to be another form of hives. I've got just about every sort of hives you can get.

I go for as many massages as my insurance will cover (every two months or so), and I find it helps short term. Since massage stimulates blood flow to the area massaged, I do find a marked difference after my neck and shoulders are worked on. It's important to find an excellent therapist, though, as some specialize more in relaxation than therapeutic massage.

Jpjd, I am currently being treated for mast cell activation, and I found that it doesn't seem to be the massage that causes issues, but rather the (very natural) scent of the massage oil my therapist uses. I am now booking in for her first appointment of the day so I don't get the smell transferred to me :). That being said, pressure can definitely cause mast cell degranulation. I have three small kids, and if any of them sit next/on to me, it causes intense symptoms. Who knew someone could be allergic to snuggling? :(

Blue: interesting that both you and my daughter got sick after massages. Do you have a confirmed mast cell issue? If so, what are you doing for it?

Furgalmama: who knew snuggling could be dangerous to your health (LOL). Glad to hear that massages help you.