Has Anyone Had Problems With Coq10 Or B Vitamins?

Lovebug

It seems everytime I try to take something with too many vitamins I get so hyped up I'm miserable. I feel like I'm losing my mind. My cardiologist told me that I must be careful with too many vitamins but when I saw him the other day, he recommended Cardio Essentials which is CoQ10, L-carmitine, L-taurine, and Hawthorne. The dose is 3 pills in am and 3 pills in pm....I took ONE, just one in the morning. I also took a powder packet called LoOz (rapid electrolyte replenishment) which has vitamins as well. It is a packet like Crystal light that is added to water. Anyway, I was so wired I couldn't take it.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it just me?

I just started taking CoQ10, because of all it's benefits. It can increase your energy level, since I am so fatigued, so if you have the propensity to be "wired" it could affect that, so I would be careful. It is actually an enzyme found in the mitrochondria of the cell and is considered a nutrient, not a vitamin. It is considered an antioxidant, and protects against free radicals. It can lower blood pressure though, too, so I would imagine that most here would need to be careful with that, as well. It works on the heart in maintaining a healthy heart, lungs, liver, breasts, and works against the side affects of some medications, like beta blockers, which a lot of us are on. Hawthorne is an herbal remedy also supposed to be good for heart health from what I have read. The others are enzymes,as well. I did take L-carnatine at one time; it does increase libido, too. Since I just started taking the CoQ10, I don't know how it is working yet on me yet; and I just was put on more vitamin D, since I was deficient in it as well, so I hope you get more input from others. I hope it helps you.

I don't take Cq10 but I do take Vitamins B, C & D along with a high potency multivitamin. I have had no side effects from them. They do help me with energy and feeling over all better especially in the morning. No symptoms of feeling wired. I only take one of each a day and Vitamin D once a week.

Well the feeling I had was almost unbearable. My husband and I were in a restuarant and I had to walk out. I walked down the road and around trying to rid myself of the feeling that I needed to run as fast as I could till I dropped. I went back to the restuarant and sat there shaking both my legs (and arms) until we got our "to go box" and paid the bill. It was awful...lasted about an hour or so. Anyway, I'd love to be able to take these supplements but it seems I always have this reaction. I think it is more related to B vitamins but not sure if CoQ10 would cause it and since I took both, it could have been that...

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Thats awful - to have gone out for a meal and suddenly feel ill. This is just so random.

I posted a few weeks ago about reacting to one of the b vits - I think it is b12. I also take a cardio suppliment and Q10 and D and C. I find these help.

A few of us have this reaction.

Hope you can get this sorted out.

I have the same problem - vitamins and supplements that really should be innocuous can make me feel terrible. I don't have any sort of a pill or medicine "phobia" but it's almost as if the things that should be the most beneficial to me (including B vitamins and co-q10) make me feel the worst. I don't know if it's because they have vaso-dilation effects, or if my body just sees them as foreign and launches some kind of autoimmune response, but I've tried different brands, different types of ingestion (even B12 and magnesium injections), taking very tiny doses - and I still end up feeling shaky and ill.

I'm sorry I can't offer advice - but just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one!

B vitamins make me NUTS! I can't take them at all, they make me so much worse. My doc had me on them when I had mono in 2006 and my blood levels were crazy-high; much higher than they should have been given the amount I took. I don't think that my body knows how to use them, or can't absorb them...something. I also have extreme reactions to niacin: I looked like I've been boiled alive and burn and itch all over for hours.

One dose of CoQ10 and the rest went in the trash! It is too stimulating for me. The same with B vitamins. Even though I don't take B vitamins, my labs show I am high in half of them. I'm thinking something along the lines of Firewatcher--maybe we don't convert them, as in, maybe we lack the enzymes or what else it takes to get them usable.

Maybe the best thing for you to do would be to try one at a time, so you can find out the culprit! Some of these supplements can be so beneficial. I don't always take them every day, except for the D vitamin, since I know I am deficient and flax oil, daily. I take magnesium and B complex and now the CoQ10 only every couple of days. The magnesium can effect my stomach adversely, as can calcium. I stopped taking calcium altogether. Every one is different.

It's a great idea to try them seperately. I actually drank a packet on Thursday with no reaction. Then Friday morning I started drinking another packet (I didn't get near to finishing it) and took 1 Cardio Essentials. Therefore, I gotta believe the combo was no good. However, I've taken one dose of a similar packet about a year ago and had the same reaction. My biggest problem with meds is if I had a reaction once, I never want to take it again. I'm a bad patient when it comes to meds, I definitely have a phobia, and any side effects I have seem to be intolerable to me.

Thanks all for the feedback! It is good to know that it isn't just me...

Haven't tried the "Bs" but I hear that some folks have trouble with B6 making them feel wired. Have some B12 sitting on my counter but I'm afraid to try it. ;) I did try CoQ10 about 6 months ago, but like someone else previously posted, it can lower bp. That was my experience. I started having syncope again. However, I also had reduced a dose on my SSRI that month, which can be a trigger, so it was either the CoQ10 alone or the combo that gave me the drop. So, just a note to be careful with it.

Kimbell, I just talked to my doc today about taking some magnesium for headaches and she said to hold off while my gastritis is healing because it can cause tummy issues -- so you found that it did irritate your tummy? What about your bp? I have had bad reactions to many of the traditional headache meds (Topomax, Mobic) and the NSAIDS gave me the gastritis, so I'm starting to run out of options (other than taking my head off!) ;)

Magnesium is supposed to be good for your nervous system, along with the B vitamins, but yes, it is hard on the stomach, and it does decrease your blood pressure. I had more trouble with hypertension, before my diagnosis, and my neurologist told me it is good for the nervous system, too. I only take it once or twice a week. I'm doing the same with the CoQ10, too, because I don't want to be hyper again, but I would rather take supplements than too many medications. I had blood work done for the vitamin D, and that could have been the reason for my fatigue, too, and since my insurance company wouldn't pay for provigil for fatigue, because it is predominantly used for MS, (and they probably don't know enough about dysautonomia), I decided to get more blood work done...so now I'm on 4,000 I.U.'s of vitamin D for a month and than 2,000 I.U. for maintenance thereafter per doctor's orders. I can't take NSAIDS either, and take Naproxen/Aleve when I really need something for pain, because it doesn't seem to affect my stomach, as much. It actually used to be a prescription medication but is now over the counter. It was used for muscle pain, way back when. I took it the first time when a horse stepped on my foot, back when I was riding horses...lol. It worked very well :) .

• 3 years later...

Yes! I found this thread doing a search for "B vitamins + dysautonomia" to see if there is anything reported about them being incompatible. Every time I try starting them up I get palpitations, presyncope, and a sensation that my POTS is flaring up, but vitals are pretty normal. I'm trying again, this time titration up hopefully.

I suppose there's the possibility that we have an MTHFR mutation and we've been compensating for the lack of methylation so long that our bodies don't know what to do with the influx of B vitamins. But, I've never been tested for it.

I just know I have been on PPI's do so long that I worry about the poor absorption of B vitamins. Though, my recent labs had me on the low end of normal for folate and B12.

I'm hoping to figure it out soon! I've always wondered if the vasodilation from some of the b vitamins could be a culprit. Idk.

I don't take B's per se but my recent blood tests show that they were abnormally high!!! Weird right? So then the dr ordered the MTHFR test and I came back positive for 2 mutations recently. From what I know so far, these mutations cause your body to not break down the B family very well and so your cells cant use them...so you feel tired all the time. The blood tests can show high levels (or not) but the body is not using them very well. I happen to eat a very good diet so that is likely where I am getting the overload from. I started taking a form specially created for people with the genetic mutation and I feel fine. The B's are already broken down in such a way that the genes don't have to get involved to make it happen. My dr ordered more extensive B levels of all kinds recently but I have not gone in yet.

I also get hyper off of other things that seem benign to other people. I cannot take any artificial sweetener either or my head will be a mess.

Hope you can get some good tests done. It has been my interactions here that have made a whole difference in how I approach myself and the medical system and so far I have been met with more than positive results! Keep asking questions and learning from others experiences...follow up with your own research and continue to be smart about yourself!