The Effect Of Melatonin On The Sns

L4UR3N

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere. I dont remember reading it before, so thought I would share :).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/09/030916073900.htm

Anyone had any experiences with taking it? I seem to remember a few people who said it was actually helpful to them. In the article it states that it may make orthostatic intolerance worse, however then it says that it attenuates the response of the sympathetic nervous system to orthostatic stress, which may actually help some of us (hyperadrenergic types whose primary etiology is SNS over activity).

I take melatonin nightly and have for several years. I took it while I had my only holter monitor study before my diagnosis and melatonin dropped my HR by 10-20 BPM within an hour of taking it. Beta Blockers abolish any effect of natural melatonin, so the nightly dose really helps me to sleep. I also have a sleep disorder where my melatonin rhythm is off, so morning BB and nightly melatonin does a good job of resetting that.

HOWEVER...melatonin can disrupt hormones and can mess with your metabolism...so you can't just take it all day, it needs to be timed properly.

melatonin decreases msna responses to orthostatic stress like omega 3 - bad for most oi but beneficial if the excessive response is the problem as perhaps in hyper patients. It certainly reduces tachycardia.

And recently and perhaps more importantly it alters the BP balance of the cerebral autoregulatory set point. Which might also be beneficial for some.

I take it only if I need it. Some nites my body just can't make enough on it's own. I don't know if it affects my oi or not. I'm still identifying triggers.

I take the minimum dose tho. Typically I take 1.25 mg with 50 mg 5htp but if I've been glutenned or am just wired, I use a combo of sun theanine (100 - 300) melatonin (1.25 - 9) and natural factors brand only 5htp (100 - 300). Works everytime.

Tc .. D