Topamax in the AM or PM?

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

I was prescribed Topamax as you all know from a previous post.

My Doc prescribed .25 for one week, then .50 for the next week, then .75---then finally 100mg. It was prescribed to be taken before bed.

What difference does it make if I take it in the morning or night---or mid-day for that matter. Just wondering. This is prescribed for the blockage of my cerebral spinal fluid flow. Some how is supposed to have some kind of diuretic effect.

Anyway, those of you that take it----what time of day do you take it?

Julie :0)

Julie, I don't know whether you checked the Web site already, but the dosing schedule your doctor gave you is what's recommended by the manufacturer. Actually, on the site, it says you split the 100 mg morning and night.

http://www.topamax.com/how2Take.html

I'm sure there's other useful info on the site as well.

good luck with this; I hope it helps you!

merrill

If it has a diuretic affect, I wouldn't take it at bedtime! My son takes it for migraines and he says it doesn't make any difference in him. He can do either. A lot of times docs reccommend (sp) bedtime, for drugs that may cause a little nausea or something and topamax can cause anorexia and some weight loss, so that may be why. Jake lost 8 pounds without changing his diet, but then he stopped losing. So anyway, as I said a lot of drugs are advised at bedtime so you supposedly will sleep through side effects. He did have tingling in his hands and feet also, but that went away too. You couldn't get this pill away from him, it has helped him so much. morgan

I have been taking Topamax for about 2 yrs and it has helped me with a number of things with minimal side effects. I take it AM and PM on an even 12 hour split. This I have found works absoulely the best for me. As for the intial weight loss this should act as a reminder to **** your nutrition and meal plans ;its a good time to take advantade of the schedule the benefits and the reminder that small meals need to be affective meals inorder to benifit the body as well as the meds.

Stay strong and hope the Topamax works for you

Kite#7

Guest Mary from OH

Topamax is usually taken in divided doses. However, if your dosage isn't divided, I would definitely recommend NIGHT because it does tend to have a VERY sedating effect. Also, many people cannot go up on the dosing as quickly as the drs suggest. I had to go VERY slowly to get to my maximum dosage (200mg daily, 100mg AM, 100mg PM). I take mine for migraines as well. Hope this helps. Good luck. Many of the side effects improve over time, but the most common and "annoying" ones are tiredness, tingling in the extremities, forgetfulness, difficulty finding words, pop/soda tasting "funny" and I forget what else. Those of us on Topamax affectionately call it "Dopamax"!! But, it helps the frequency and intensity of my migraines, so I couldn't live without it!!! It's a great preventative in my book!!

Guest Julia59

Do you all take beta blockers with topamax as well. I take propranolol 20 mg 3 xs a day, wellbutrin sr 100 mg once a day and synthroid .075 once a day----and now of course the topamax starting with the .25 up to the 100 mg in 4 weeks.

I started it yesterday, and the only side affects I noticed so far was in the beginning my BP and HR seemed to increase a little, but this was probably anxiety wondering what the drug would do to me. As the day progressed HR and BP was more normal, but I was very sluggish and sleepy tired which seemd to get better as the day went on, and was almost gone by night, I didn't notice any diuretic effect. Wouldn't I go to the bathroom a lot----probably to soon to tell? I took my second dose today, and already I don't notice the side affects as much.

Julie :0)