How are you all sleeping

Ling

I sleep much better since I have been taking magnesium tablets for the heart cramps. But I was wondering, I wake up 2 to 3 times a night my whole life already. Do any of you wake up so much during the night. I hope to become a mom soon and think the waking up part will not be a problem for me. It is so wonderful to talk to all of you. I FEEL SO NORMAL! :P

The only way that I sleep well is use medication. I take ambien to fall asleep. If I'm having a really hard time staying asleep, I have another medication (doxepin elixar) I can take, but I haven't used it in a few months.

Nina :P

We have such expectation about sleep that starts when we are just tiny creatures. "Good" babies sleep through the night etc.

I also wake up several times during the night, but I'm not convinced this is a problem in and of itself. The worrying, the racing thoughts, the guilt, the exhaustion ... these are problems.

I produced a CD last year on meditation -- it has seven 10 minute tracks on a variety of topics. One of them restoring sleep. If anyone would like to try the sleep soundtrack you are welcome to download it from my site:

http://www.coolkarma.com/mp3/sleep-m.mp3

Enjoy. I hope it helps.

EarthMother

I have practiced buddhist meditation for several years now. Hasn't seemed to change my sleep pattern. When I was able to exercise more, I had my most restorative sleep; but since having my spinal problems which in turn limit my aerobic activities, all my sleep issues have become magnified. I'm often exhausted and able to have a "quiet" mind, but my body is still awake.

Nina :P

I have the worst time falling asleep. If I don't take anything I won't fall asleep until around 3 am. and then get up around 11 am feeling like I have been run over by a truck.

I took Ativan for several months, but it started working less and being less effective at even at higher doses.

Last night was my 4th night on Ambien. It seems to work well and I have been getting to sleep by 12 at the latest and outta bed by 8am which is something I haven't seen in alooong time. :P

I still have some sleep issues....as I'm typing this it is 4am. However, I sleep much better now then when I first became ill. Usually I can take a small dose of beta blocker on the nights I can't sleep and it puts me right out. Other nights I enjoy the quiet and get some work done. Tonight is one of those nights...

Michelle

how do i sleep? well, it's 4:25 am as i write this, so that should give you some idea.

:blink:

i'm on a terrible schedule that i can't seem to get out of. i sleep days and am up nights. although even with normal sleeping/waking cycle, my sleep has been terrible (with a capital T) since i've had POTS. this is a particularly distressing symptom for me, because i have always loved-loved-loved sleeping. when i was a baby i apparently slept 15+ hours a day, and i guess i never grew out of it. as an adult i would sleep anywhere from 9-12 hours a night. if i get anything less than 9, i'm a wreck. 10 is optimum.

it's telling that since i've had POTS, i haven't been able to achieve my normal sleeping patterns at all. not once. not a single night/day/whatever, for over a year. maybe that's why i'm so messed up. maybe i just need some sleeping pills, and POTS is just a side effect of insomnia. yeah? :P

I have had more trouble sleeping the past few months than I ever have before. I NEVER had fatigue as an effect of POTS until I became a mother :)

However, sleep was not a problem for the first few months after the baby came, because I was so incredibly tired. But now that he is sleeping through the night, I can't seem to sleep at all!! I am exhausted ALL day long, can't keep my eyes open, and as soon as 11pm hits, I am ready to go (where, I don't know?!).

I usually drink Chamomile tea and read for a while about 30 minutes before I want to fall asleep, and it helps a little. But I keep waking up at the wee hours of the morning, and it takes a good 30 minutes or more for me to fall back asleep each time.

I refuse to take sleep meds, I just try my best to relax and like a few others said, if it's too bad I get up and get some work done at 4am. It's very quiet then B)

I think purplefocus said it best.

I'm a night shift employee anyway, that doesn't help. Dr. Grubb says I need a regular schedule B)

Nights I don't go to work at my fulltime job, I work from home. I've been up since 2300 last night and it's now nearly 8am. I'm dizzy and my blood pressure is under 100 right now.

I asked my primary care doctor several times for something to help me sleep. I told him that I'm tired but my mind doesn't shut off. He said that is a sign of anxiety. I told him I know the difference between anxiety and insomnia and I haven't suffered from anxiety since I divorced my husband.

I saw Dr. Grubb this week and he gave me Sonata to try. I'll have to break down to night and see how it works.

Steph

yes, hope the Sonata works for you. It did help me to sleep a full night but left me groggy in the morning. However, we're all different, so maybe it'll do better for you.

Nina B)

I sleep horrible. I wake up several times a night. Some nights I can fall asleep in less than a minute and other nightss even though I'm exhausted I can't fall alseep. And then I'll go through periods when all I can do is sleep. I had a sleep study done about 8 years ago and was diagnosed with narcolepsy and sleep apnea. I had surgery for my sleep apnea and I take meds for the narcolepsy. But now I'm having another sleep study on 1/29 to see if I've developed sleep apnea again. I guess the surgery has a high failure rate. You might want to consider a sleep study. I can't remember the number, but my sleep doctor told me the percentage of people that have sleep apnea and it was very high.