Sensory Overload

Just thought I'd add my two cents:

I also get sensory overload, and it seems increasingly so. I'm not sure if it's a symptom of my mental illness, though, but essentially, I have found that I often need to cover my ears when there's any kind of loud noises.

Storms and crowds are the worst for me. I don't cope well and I start shutting down.

I'm looking at buying those noise cancelling headphones, or some ear muffs — I know they sell them specifically for people with sensory issues.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/31/2012 at 9:24 PM, Monstrosity said:

How many of your get sensory overload from your POTS/Dysautonomia? I get this a lot when I'm out to dinner, in a busy place, etc.

I absolutely do! I had always wondered if I had mild ASD or if it was a symptom of my bipolar, but this seems to make more sense to me. Going to busy restaurants can be a nightmare!

Yes - I get this as well. I am homebound due to the inability to tolerate high-noise and crowded environments, in addition to the inability to be upright for long that pretty much makes it impossible to do anything outside of the home. IF I have to go to an appointment or to a store - despite using a wheel chair for those situations - I am often drained for days afterwards and sometimes it results in a flare. 

A few years ago, I went to a neuro-ophthalmologist trying to figure out why my brain fog was always so much worse in stores, movies, etc.  He diagnosed visually induced dizziness (also known as shopping cart syndrome).   He gave me a prescription for Diamox, but that didn't help any.   I think it is more common with people with neurological problems.  At the time, I don't recall having any autonomic problems but maybe I did and just didn't realize it.  Anyway, it's no fun!  Sometimes when I'm at the store I swear people are jumping out at me on purpose!

Guest KiminOrlando

I just saw my doc today and we talked about this issue. He wrote a script for something and when I get it in my hand, I will try to update this with the name and how it worked for me. It is also supposed to help with night sweats. He mentioned it being an overactive sympathetic nervous system for me. Hope it helps. I went to a shopping mall during Christmas with crowds, Christmas choirs, Christmas lights, Christmas jazz bands, etc... it was a disaster. Luckily I was with a friend and they got me out. It was like my brain got confused and couldn't process what I was seeing fast enough so it made me dizzy and disoriented. I had been there many times before over the last 30 years, so it shouldn't have been a big deal, but that time, I was just lost and helpless. I wasn't panicked. It wasn't anxiety. I was frustrated because my body was not doing what it was supposed to do. My eyes are freaking out and randomly not focusing too. My Optometrist wants me to see a neuro Opthamologist to check me over. I have a friend that is a regular Opthamologist, so I am going to ask his opinion before I go. I don't want to waste time or money.