Pots Patient In Ironman Race

If there really are only 500,000 people in the U.S. with POTS then that would put this illness at somewhere around 1 in 600 which interestingly enough is 1/6 the risk of developing schizophrenia in your lifetime.

Sad that she can run these marathons but that it isn't taking her POTS away. Hopefully she will eventually improve.

Oh my god this is amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing this!!!!

Last month I just completed my first Tough Mudder, a 12 mile obstacle course race. I had a really tough time training for it, but I am looking forward to doing more races and marathons in the future. I wondered if it would be possible for me to continue, and she really gives me hope that it might be!!!!

It's great to get more PR and I am so happy this patient is able to do this race.

I seriously doubt I could ever train at this level.

I still feel even this article underplays how severe the condition can be.

Like this key statement:

"...often makes women who have it seem lethargic..."

This seems like an understatement to me. I know I and many of us have been far more ill than simply "seeming lethargic". I also think it brushes off how challenging it can be to treat, especially treat to the point that someone could do an Ironman(!?) The article seems to imply that the challenge is more in getting a diagnosis than in getting treated. Anyway that is my read...

But I am glad POTS is getting attention!

I remember several years ago there was a woman on this form that ran marathons. Her HR was at some crazy number like 300 bpm, but she was able to do it. Not sure if this is the same person. And others here have run in races. I am like MomtoGiuliana, there is no way in heck I could do that. I can walk, but not really run. I am OK with that and THRILLED that there are others out there who can manage it. And glad POTS is getting more and more PR, even if not always described how it should be. :)