Bee Venom??

From Dr Weil's site:

Bee venom

Honeybee venom contains a number of powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that may help induce remission in autoimmune diseases. One of them, apamin, is under investigation in France as a possible new treatment for MS. Purified bee venom is available for injection, but many apitherapists prefer to apply living bees to the body. In experienced hands the procedure is quite safe. The best way to find out about this therapy is to consult a local bee-keeper.

Well, I can go out in my backyard right now and round you up some bees - if you want to come and try it. :) LOL - Joking aside - I hear it can be very beneficial and also helps many with pain that they can't seem to get relieved any other way. It's been a therapy for many years. Still, not anxious to run out and try it - but, I've got plenty of bees around my flowers right now.

Issie

Is this just part of the theory about causing yourself one type of pain to forget about another? Like hitting yourself in head with a hammer to forget about your back pain?? LOL

Personally I've been using freeze-dried stinging nettles for several years and they seem to be the best thing I've found for my allergies.

I was attacked by a hive as a child, and Docs were shocked that I didn't have too horrible a reaction and was told that such an event could lead to being allergic later on in life.

Got stung several times since.

Last summer I got stung right on top of my pinky toe of my left foot. Went out at night during a rain storm to check on our down-spout; we have a hive that lives in the top of the drain spout or rather in the canal thing that brings water from roof to the spout.

anyway long story short, poor bee tried to save itself by using my sandal as a life raft, I didn't notice and got stung.

I had feeling in 3 of my toes in that foot for 5 days!!! That was a first for my left foot in many many years.

Didn't find out for 4 days that I hadn't gotten all of the stinger out, my Mom had to dig it out. After the 5 days I was feeling pretty positive, then it started hurting and itching for an additonal 3 weeks.

I have a huge quarter sized "scar" darkening of skin there now. I never scarred before from over 50 stings.

I called a bee keeper to ask and they said with Apitherapy you only leave the stinger in for 30 min to an hour. The fact it was in for several days is probably what caused the lingering problems and skin change.

Love my bees!!!

Owww! Oh, I have a bee story too. My and my hubby used to ride a big sportster motorcycle. We are some of the smart ones and value whether or not we keep our brains if we are to fall - so we wear helmets. Of course, we ride tandum and that morning I was having allergies so had taken about 2 benadryl and was ready for the outdoors. On the way up the mountain a couple of bees got in my helmet. I start hiting hubby on the back and telling him to stop. Of course, you better not move around or you will wreck - so had to sit perfectly still and make sure I leaned the right way with the road - which was very curvey going up a mountain. By the time he got stopped - I was stung two times in the neck. Even though it hurt like the dickins - those bee stings never swelled up to bad - I think it was because of the benadryl. But, let me tell you - it wasn't fun. But, I was proud of myself for not wrecking us and remaining calm - despite it all. LOL :) There's my bee story.

Issie