Changes: Living With Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Rachel

I am excited to announce that DINET's full length POTS documentary is now available on YouTube.

We are not able to take new DVD orders at this time, but we do hope to make the documentary available on DVD again later on this year. Meanwhile, feel free to watch on YouTube and pass the link on to anyone who may appreciate it.

What a great video! I watched it twice.

Question: @ 26:10 - Dr. Thompson says that there is no diagnosis code. Is that true?

I found orthostatic hypotension and several with tachychardia but not POTS specifically.

bullet_triangle_green.png

2012 ICD-10-CM Code I95.1note.pnghierarchy2.png

Orthostatic hypotension hr_L.gif

Applicable To Hypotension, postural Type 1 Excludes neurogenic orthostatic hypotension [shy-Drager] (G90.3) orthostatic hypotension due to drugs (I95.2) Mortality Data Between 1999-2007 there were 190 deaths in the United States where ICD-10 I95.1 was indicated as the underlying cause of death [source: cdc.gov ] ICD-10 I95.1 as underlying cause of death data broken down

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, thank you , thank you ~ :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It was very validating to hear others talk about their experience with POTS. It really hit home when Dr. Thompson talked about his showering experiences. I look very healthy, but sometimes I find looking healthy to be a disadvantage. For example, people often make ignorant remarks or give me dirty looks when I park in a handicapped parking space (one women, after calling me every name in the book, told me that she was going to call the police on me for using a (my) handicap permit). The ironic thing is I only use handicap spaces on days that I feel "really bad" (I have to laugh, "really bad" is all relative, right?) One of my best doctor visits was a routine visit to my endocrinologist. I was feeling particularly miserable that day (so miserable I almost cancelled my appointment...too sick to go to the doctor, pretty funny, huh). I looked good though and I figured she had no idea how I was feeling. The first thing she said when she walked in was that she felt sorry for me because since I looked so good and she knew that most people didn't realize that I felt awful. The empathy she displayed got me through that day and many other days. I don't even know if she realized the power of her words. Thank you to everyone who made this very powerful documentary. I plan on sharing it with my doctors, my family, my friends, in fact I might have the YouTube link printed on a card so that next time someone gives me a dirty look or asks me facetiously what is wrong with me, I can simply hand them the card and walk away. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to see Dr. Randy Thompson, but he said my case was too complicated and sent me to Dr. Blair Grubb. LOL! (Because my blood pressure became unreadable during the tilt, he said that I did not have "just POTS")

Then Dr. Grubb, to my surprise, starting pulling on my joints and said I had EDS.

Thanks so much for the video!

• 3 months later...

I felt all the feelings watching this...The curse of "looking like" an attractive, healthy, young female...I so wish I lived near Dr. Svetlana or Dr. Thompson. Thanks for making this video resource. I am going to be forwarding it to my current cardiologist and the procedural care team at the hospital where I had my tilt table test last week. They are in dire need of sensitivity training. That procedure was much more horrible and traumatic than it needed to be.

Hi Midatlantic,

I'm glad the video was helpful for you. I hope it is helpful for your doctors too!

You mentioned that you wish you lived near Dr. Svetlana Blitshteyn. In case you weren't aware, she does offer phone consultations. I'm not sure if this would work with your insurance or not, but I wanted to let you know in case it would be of benefit to you.

I hope that you will be able to find the help and treatment that you need!

Rachel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I did see Dr. Blitshtein. Really knowledgable lady. However, she is like 6-7 hours away from me, so I only saw her once. Also, had one phone consult. My insurance will not pay for phone consult, so I could not afford it more then once. I think you only pay cash for phone consult.

• 3 months later...

Hi I am a woman who is 55 years old who was dx: with MS thirty years ago. one year ago I fainted and was Dx. with dysautonomia. I have chest pain and palps, not felt a pang of hunger for 9 months naseau, food sits there. Migraines!!! fatigue. Has anyone had normal cardiac results with such symptoms. Same as normal gastroperisis test even though food sits there. I need help. No medications have helped me!! for ex: stomach. Inderal for palps and chest pain. Anti inflammatory for back and headaches. Even narcotics don't always work or migraine drugs for Migraines!! Please can someone respond I feel so so sick and so so alone!!!!! My name is Lisa. Oh, I do have the low blood pressure under control with salt tabs. 3000mg two times per day. Thanx!!