Anyone On Here Have Pet Fish In Their Life?

Lemons2lemonade

I had quite a few fish from my college years onward. Freshwater only. In general, any fish which was hearty didn't do well in my tank. Anything which was considered tricky usually thrived. Clown loaches are my fav. After awhile mine learned to recognize me and would make snapping/clicking sounds if I hadn't fed them by 9am. Somewhat annoying when you're trying to sleep in on a weekend. Loud too.

I have four freshwater tanks and I love them except for cleaning day! Three cichlids each have their own tanks and then there's my betta; he has a huge brandy snifter. We have really hard well water and cichlids love that. I use softenened water for the betta.

I've been a fish enthusiast for years. I have a 55 gallon right now with cichlids, and a few gouramis...I've probably had every fresh water fish known to man...lol. Used to have a Bala shark I nicknamed "Tap", because he used to tap the bottom of the tank at night!! Had another Columbian shark that would literally eat out of my hand, but one morning I sleep in, and he jumped out of the tank; I saved him once, but he started to make a habit of jumping, and you can figure out the rest of that story...I love my fish, but like songcanary mentioned, cleaning the tank is not my favorite thing to do!! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

My fish have helped me through this summer of ****. I have a couple of Goldfish out on the balcony. They had babies that I transferred into a few buckets so they wouldn't be eaten. With my total and utter exhaustion this year, it has been all I can do to drag myself onto the balcony, and sit and stare at the baby fishes all day.

• 2 months later...

Keeping fish tanks is something I used to do quite a bit, and it was very therapeutic for me.  I had more than one, and while I was focusing on pruning plants in my planted tank or trouble-shooting something wrong in my saltwater tank my mind was on that problem and not my health problems.  Unfortunately, I don't know when I will be moving next, and filling up a 75 gallon tank and a couple of 20 gallon tanks is not something I think I should do.  And it's enough to try to keep up with the one pet I have.  

Maybe when I'm feeling a little better?  It would be great to have the distraction now, but oh well.

I loved keeping fish.  Recently I downsized and did not take my tanks with me.  A former neighbor took them thank goodness.  But I had a male Betta that really was quite a sweet pet.  I wonder if you could do that for just awhile?  My Betta was easy to keep and was company.  I have had dysautonomia for many years and it got better for me in time.  So there is hope.  Take care.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 4:44 PM, songcanary said:

I loved keeping fish.  Recently I downsized and did not take my tanks with me.  A former neighbor took them thank goodness.  But I had a male Betta that really was quite a sweet pet.  I wonder if you could do that for just awhile?  My Betta was easy to keep and was company.  I have had dysautonomia for many years and it got better for me in time.  So there is hope.  Take care.

Hi, @songcanary!!  I just saw this.  Was this for me?

I actually have a little 5 gallon tank I was keeping a betta in.  She died though, so the tank is running with no fish in it right now. 

I think a big part of what was soothing to me about keeping fish was the fact that I was problem-solving on all of my tanks each day.  There were always levels to measure, plants to prune, algae to scrape, etc.  It was something I got hooked on when I worked in pet stores. 

I worked at an aquarium store for 4 years, and I loved that job.  I got to do what I like to do, and lawyers and doctors, etc. would come in and ask my advice regarding how to take care of their 10-20 thousand dollar reef tanks.  It was nice.  I miss it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I used to. Honestly we had a really hard time keeping them alive on three different occasions. And I have no idea why. We reaearched endlessly. Seriously. We didn't go into this like oh let's put a fish in a bowl of water. We really worked hard. Any fish 101 advice? I'd really love to have fish again, but I'd hate to be responsible for their demise.