Over Constricted During The Day, Pooling In The Evening

julieph85

My pots symptoms are 10x worse from 8am to 2pm and way better in the evening and at night. When my symptoms are at their worst in the morning, my hands and feet are white and ice cold and I am extremely jittery. This has been described to me as peripheral vasoconstriction caused by high levels of NE. In the evening I am no longer jittery, my hands and feet warm up, and I am no longer vaso constricted. In fact, my veins balloon up very bad and large amounts of blood pool in my hands and feet to where my hands are actually uncomfortably heavy. I'm assuming the NE levels are dramatically lowering which stops the peripheral vasoconstriction. Question- why the dirunal pattern? Question- if the NE is a compensatory mechanism for pooling, why do I know longer need it at night, especially when I appear to be pooling more? Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?

I don't get the constriction/dilation diurnal rythm, but it happens 24 hours a day off and on. Of course I feel worse in the morning and then get better by night. But, regarding the con/vas, I have it sitting and standing, like I have it as a separate issue from the POTS. It feels like a hormone is being released, and then the vasodilation happens. Then within 5-10 minutes, my extremities are cooler, but not cold.

As you say, if the NE is compensatory for pooling, maybe because we've drank and built our blood volume up some during the day? By morning, we are back dehydrated and at square one?

I can't figure it out. I seem to be vasoconstricted too and actually take things in the day to dilate - but, by the end of the day - I have puffy feet and seem to have lots of pooling too. I think our vasculature system just isn't returning the blood back up to our upper bodies correctly. We aren't getting enough to our hearts or our heads and that causes all kinds of problems. If we could increase the pumping mechanisms of our vascular system and strengthen that - then maybe we'd be on the road to BETTER. I'm trying some things to improve venal response and integrity - I'll let you know - if it helps. It will take time, because mine seems to be really bad.

I am the SAME way. I have always had a pattern like that. Even though I do have more pooling in the evening my OI and how I feel is so much better at that time. I've always just thought maybe it was the normal pattern for most as the sympathetic system gets activated in the morning to wake us up and then slowly declines over the course of the day until we go to bed. I've thought Im just hyper sensitive to a normal wake/sleep pattern that most usually don't feel. Who knows though.