Can Beta Blockers Cause Mood Swings?

brethor9

Hi all!

So lately over the the last week I have started having unbelievable mood swings...to the point of crying one minute, high anxiety to almost rages over the smallest things. This behaviour is completely abnormal to me and is driving my poor husband to the point of madness lol he is afraid to come near me!

The only new medications I have started again in the last month are bisoprolol 2.5mg daily and childrens claritin 5mg daily. All the other meds I am on I have been on for almost 1 year. I am strongly suspecting it is the beta blocker as I do know they can cause depression sometimes.

Has anyone else experienced mood swings while taking beta blockers? If so what did you do?

Thanks

Bren

Hasn't happened to me on propanalol.

I do sometimes have those mood swings but for me it seems to be related to eating more carbs, exercising too hard or when I get too tired and keep trying to push thru it all. Had this happening long before I started propanalol and it has never correlated to taking the med.

I know the feeling of having your husband afraid to come near you. I HATE it when that happens. I wonder if it's all part of that excess sympathetic drive that creates so many of our issues. In fact, my husband was saying recently, "I can tell when you have more energy because you get edgy". Wonder if that edginess, as well as the increase in energy, is an increased sympathetic response?

I was crying without reason on atenolol...uncontrollably, I might add. But don't fret or give up; you maybe could try another that is longer acting. Talk with your doctor... I did, and I'm a new person on Bystolic. Not as tachy :) ...and more functional!

My last concussion in mid-Feb I was like that. It was a frontal lobe concussion and I became a completely different person. I was full of this anger and rage one minute, the next minute I would be sobbing uncontrollably for no reason... and then back to whatever I was doing the next. When I say anger and rage- I mean I was throwing things (I threw my iPhone at the wall! HELLO! I would NEVER do that!!! and thank goodness it didn't break)... Demanding, critical, emotional, just overall a crazy person. My husband AND kids were avoiding me like the plague. That didn't help and just made me angier. The strangest thing? I didn't even realize it was happening. I thought THEY were all the crazy ones. It went on about two weeks until the raging, anger and mood swings improved- but it was just horrible. I have had many concussions, but none with that result. The neuro said the frontal lobe ones will cause extreme mood changes.

I think even a month later my husband is still a little scarred and jumpy from that whole episode. I notice that he is very careful with what he says to me and I hate that I did that to him. BUT.. all of that said, I did take a Beta Blocker once (sorry, taken so many can't remember which one) that seemed to make me extremely moody- I would be sad one minute and angry the next. It also lowered my BP too much so I stopped it rather quickly.. but the side effects happened with the first dose. While the BB do help with my tachy, they all lower my BP so much that it is too risky so I just don't take them. In your case, maybe you can try another one?

Did your mood swings start right away when you began taking it or gradually? I would think a call to the doctor is a good idea because you can't live like this. It sounds like you are miserable. Or even call a pharmacist and ask which one would be the least likely to cause such symptoms and go over that with your doctor. ((((( HUGS))))) I will keep you in my thoughts.

Jen