Nkcc1 Sodium Potassium Ear Relationship

Nkcc is a protein that affects sodium, potassium, and chloride balance. It has 2 types nkcc1 and nkcc2. Nkcc1 is necessary for keeping up the potassium rich area around the choclea (inner ear) so that it functions properly.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na-K-2Cl_symporter

Interesting that you brought up this protein. We actually are studying NKCC1 in our lab right now. Although I think most of the forms we're currently using aren't the human version. We do a lot of work with membrane transport proteins. Are you thinking that the connection with the inner ear could be causing some of the symptoms of POTS?

• 2 months later...

Inner ear pain was my very first symptom with the last bout of POTS and again with this bout. It crept up on me, along with night sweats, cramping, fatigue then the tachy's. My family Doc never sees a thing in my ear, this time the hospital thought I was nuts, and once D/C'd I ran to an ENT who also dismissed me as Lyme's or TMJ. For me this is proof that a connection exists.....so now what to do about it......hmmm