Veins??

jenglynn

I know this is really a "silly" and very unscientific question- but do the appearance of our veins have anything to do what kind of POTS we have? Technically, I'm diagnosed also with autoimmune mediated autonomic dysfunction. I have orthostatic hypotension and right now it's anywhere from 30-60 seconds upon standing until syncope. It's been that way since Nov. 2011 at least. Although I've been a fainter since childhood- I'm not sure when it started but around age 9-11 to my best recollection.

Anyway on to veins- you can see practically every vein in my body, it seems (I know I really can't). They are always prominent.. Arms, legs, feet, hands, wrists, thights, chest, stomach, torso, neck, everywhere. Not just "visible" but very noticeable. And, no, I am not pregnant. Sometimes they protrude it seems for lack of a better word, and other times they are just flat but still as obvious and stand out.

Does this have anything to do with POTS or is this just a coloring issue I was born with? I'm on the pale side and my veins have always been visible, but in the last 6 months they are so prominent that I get people commenting on how much the bright blue veins stand out. I have become MUCH more pale since this illness so that could be the answer. Anyway, was just curious if this is something medical or just genetic. Thanks in advance for your answers...

Jen

I'm curious to see what people say about this as well. I've always been pale too, but since this stuff came on...I joke that I look like a smurf because of the blue hue to my skin from my veins. I showed my hubby because I thought I was imagining it and he said it was really weird how much they stood out. (And I'm not pregnant either)

Are you SERIOUS ????? That is absolutely hysterical!!!! I JUST told my hubby yesterday that he should start calling me Smurfette because I'm more blue than any other color.... LOL. Great minds think alike I guess.... Or minds trapped back in 80's cartoons anyway!!

That is just too funny!!!! I'm going to giggle about that all night.

Well, let's hope we get some answers because now I am extra curious!!!! :)

Jen

I have noticed that the veins in certain parts of my body have become more prominent like my hands,arms, chest, breasts, feet, legs, and neck. I actually had enough discoloration in my breasts that my cardio agreed I should see a breast surgeon just to double-check that it wasn't anything serious. The breast surgeon said that the mammogram was clean and then asked if I was taking any steroids...I was...Florinef. He asked if the discoloration appeared after starting that which it did. He said that even the discoloration that didn't look like a blood vessel was from having more blood circulating near the surface of my skin and that he does see this with florinef on occassion.

Mostly, my extremities, especially feet and hands, but that could be my age, or just dilation of my blood vessels. More prominent when I'm hot or have had a hot bath or shower.

Haha Jen that's so funny! Glad I'm not the only "smurf". :)

Yeah I think I am a little paler now too (and I was pretty pale before!), and I've also lost almost 20 lbs since this came on. Maybe my veins are closer to the surface now? Anyway, it's always interesting to find out we're not weird with some of the things that happen!

Heather

Interesting question! :)

They can never, ever, EVER find my peripheral veins. It's pretty horrible when I have to go for a blood test or IV fluids. The veins on my abdomen and chest however are very visable (which could be related to EDS?)

It would make sense for those with low BP to have prominate veins due to vasodilation, and those with hypertension to be the exact opposite.

Do you have any spider veins? My feet are basically purple from spider veins. The thenar eminence of my hands also have a weird blue/purple hue--so much so that others have commented on how "weird" it is. :(

I was diagnosed with a "connective tissue disorder" due to extreme hypermobility and stretchy skin but the facility I was at didn't want to pursue testing at that time. I am fairly certain it could be EDS. I have torn numerous ligaments (at age 14 actually severed, not just tore, all four ligaments in my left knee by barely twisting my ankle- I mean I didn't even fall down it was so minor). Have had MANY dislocations of joints (too many too count) and can do all of those tests- like pull your thumb back to your forearm etc. So if it is EDS I am not sure what kind. As I stated in another thread, it worries me a bit because my 13 year old daughter has all those same symptoms as well as the very prominent veins- and my grandmother and her father both had the same symptoms and both passed relatively young (in their 50's) both with aneurysms- as did his brother (my great grandfather's brother)

I didn't realize that the veins and the prominence had anything to do with EDS. I think I will definitely pursue this testing somewhere else. My home hospital just hired a new neurologist who specializes in autonomic issues (FINALLY) and he actually called ME to talk about coming to see him (none of the other neuros would see me there because they were very baffled by my case) and he said the first thing that stood out to him was the probable EDS and my daughter (who at 13 has already had multiple syncopal spells) and how he wants us to get some extensive genetic testing done. So that is promising. Even if it has NOTHING to do with my autoimmune or autonomic issues, I would like to know, especially so that I can protect her! She wants to be on the high school gymnastics team next year... that isn't going to be possible if we find out that she has limitations such as EDS... I already think it is out of the question as a mom, but it would be better for her if she heard from the doctor.

Does anyone know why at times they seem to protrude and other time they are flat. And yes, I do have spider veins too.

Thanks so much for the helpful info!!!! Oh, and I am extremely HYPOtensive.

Jen

I have really prominent veins all over and they're all bright, bright blue! I also have suspected autoimmune POTS. They make getting blood from me very easy unless my blood pressure is reeeally low. They seem to go a bit darker in the shower, especially in my hands and feet. However, I don't have a connective tissue disorder that I'm aware of nor do I have orthstatic hypotension or visable blood pooling. I've had veins like these ever since I can remember and I've always put it down to my thin, fair skin so I'm hoping it's just that!