P450 Genetic Testing??

Has anyone had a P450 test done? What did it tell you in relation to meds that you take, and how useful was it to you?

I ask because my PCP, cardiologist and psych are pretty darn sure I'm a "poor metabolizer" of meds such as the SSRI (Effexor) I'm on, and that's why I've had such difficulties the last 5 years with "normal" doses causing severe side effects and also explains why I have such difficulty getting off of them. I've spent a heck of a lot of time in the medication merry go round, and I'm hoping that maybe this test could give my team some additional info to go on (and also, if we ever start meds in the future, what to avoid).

My son was also just started on an ADHD med, and it scares the living you know what out of me given the struggle I've had with meds...so I'm thinking of asking him to be tested to if mine comes back abnormal.

Any idea whether benzos and Florinef (the other two meds I take) would be informed by the P450 results?

Many thanks!

Yes, I've been tested and have a really bad dysfunction in that pathway with my liver. I have a horrible time with medicines and supplements. My liver doesn't detox me properly and this test really will show you whether or not things that go through that pathway will metabolize correctly or not. I think you can look most meds up and see what pathways are used to metabolize things.

I was glad I had it done, becaue it gave me a reason for my sensitivites to nearly everything I've tried. I have to take baby's baby doses of most everything.

Issie

There is a cheaper test that can be done through Great Smokies Labs. (I think that was the lab?) It does a challenge with Tylenol and see's what your liver is doing. It's not as conclusive and doesn't give you as much info, but - will give you either a yes or no as to whether it's an issue or not.