Tachycardia When Sleeping

Rissy2D,

Thanks for all the info. on IST. It seems likely there is a connection, as it does not seem like chance you would have POTS and your sister would have IST but I am sure you realize tht much.

Off B-blocker my HR is 90-105 just as yours Forevertired, and on tilt I was over 140 also. One notable thing is off meds my standing HR oscillates up and down every minute or so. It went as low as 80 and as high as 156 standing tilt.

B-blockers are effective in many Hyperadrenergic POTS patients in Blair Grubbs paper on this type of POTS.

My HR definately rises on standing, even on B-blockers so it sounds less likely I have IST. I do not intend to have any kind of ablation's at least for a long time from now anyways, so maybe I'll let the IST idea go.

Thank you,

• 3 years later...

I hope it is okay to revive an old thread (I am new to the DINET forum) but this one caught my eye b/c tachycardia in the 160's to 170's in my sleep was my very first symptom in Jan 2013 that something was seriously wrong. I was diagnosed first with IST and later with POTS (and then a series of multiple other diagnoses) and put first on Metoprolol and then Atenolol. This thread makes me feel less alone as I had yet to find anyone with that level of tachy in their sleep.

Does anyone know for sure what causes it? I do not get it anymore with the Atenolol but I have profound shortness of breath and am wanting to experiment with tapering off the Atenolol b/c I also have MCAS and have learned that BB's are bad for MCAS and can degranulate mast cells.

Would love to hear any feedback. Thank you to everyone in advance!

I agree that it would be a good idea for you to be tested for IST.

I am waiting to see an electrophysiologist so they can rule that out for me as well (although I'm sure mine is not IST). My hr isn't tachy when I lay down though, which is quite different from yours. Mine just goes tachy through the night and I was told it was likely the same cause that Julie mentioned - already low blood pressure dropping further during sleep.

I hope you find a doc who is helpful! I have none that know anything about POTS either and truthfully, at times I just want someone to look at me with an "I-totally-get-it" expression as opposed to the "blank stare"; the "you're feeling what??"; or the "maybe-you-should-join-the-traveling-circus" (perhaps start a 'guess her blood pressure' act or 'watch the incoherent lady's feet turn purple').

Thank you this made me smile today because I get it. (the join the traveling circus thing). Thank you for helping me find moments of amusement in this chaos.