I've Sworn Off Fleece Pajamas!

Hope

I live in the North and of course during the winter nights it can get cold. I have to maintain a good core body heat. Too cold my hands and feet go numb, to hot...well, we all know that makes us feel worse. Maybe a lot of you have had to swear off fleece too, I don't know I haven't seen anything on here about it but if I wear fleece pajamas to bed, even if I don't feel too warm, I wake up feeling incredibly weak! I've tested this theory many times because fleece is very cozy! But I wake up feeling much better when I sleep in light cotton, or flannel.

Just thought I would share in case any of you out there are wearing fleece =)

Also, I had to ditch my 4" foam topper on my mattress. I had purchased it due to a lower back/hip problem (and it did help that), but I am convinced it made my circulation worse. I made a lot of improvement after taking that off my bed.

Has anybody else had to make these kinds of changes? I am kind of new to this still so I am looking around to see what other changes I could make to improve my symptoms.

Oh, definitely no foam rubber in my bedding or pillows. I wear cotton (live in midwest with frigid winters and drafty house). I use cotton socks with grippers for the floor and if I get to hot, I remove those to cool me down quicker. Since the medication makes the hands and feet even colder, it seems if they're cold, I'm cold. I wear nothing but cotton and use cotton bedding and down comforter and a down throw when I sit in the living room that I can take off or put on. That seems to insulate me pretty well. I have an electric throw for the sofa but never had to pull it out this year. I know when I'm on the sofa or in bed and that heat kicks on, my lands it feels like I'm going to smother. I feel really bad and headachey trying to get through (and I keep my thermostat turned to 67 in the day and 65 at night). When the heat kicks on when I'm sleeping, I'm still sometimes kicking the blankets off until the heat shutts off, so needless to say the quality of the sleep is not so good. DH is the one who deserves a medal. He kicks the heat up the minute he walks in the door (but then goes out to run errands--at which point I go behind him and turn it right back down) :-)

I made the mistake of taking some polyester jammies to sister's home for holiday visit (older home--out in woods in Jan., sitting up on hill) thinking if I got hot I could put more blankets on. It seemed they hadn't opened up the vent and had the door to the guest room closed off and it was really cold in that room but I'd insisted it was just fine to me. Sister put extra blankets at foot of bed and showed me where more were. I was comfortable. But her DH (or she) thought they'd best turn heat up to warm that room up. So whereas the polyester worked fine before, now it was hot hot hot. Nothing that is not breathable for me anymore. Just give me a throw if I'm cold but I underdress since I can tuck the extremeties under the throw off and on. I hear ya', sister!

I also dress (when I go out) in layers (per rheume's recommendation for my arthritis/fibromyalgia)--silk, cotton or capaline (sp) and then wool if needed. All breathable fabrics and layering, you can remove. Silk and wool come in different weights and feels so it's much better than the 'wool' days of yore.

I haven't had to swear it off, but, I know that fleece and many of the synthetic fibers don't breathe and hold in heat much more than cotton. I have been known to hike up the legs of my favorite fleece sweat pants above my knees. :D I definitely haveto be careful what kind of fabric I wear when the weather is warmer. I can't wear regular bras because the band of compression around my torso makes my POTS symptoms worse, so I have to wear long-line type bras to spread the compression around. BUT, they kill me in hot weather because they're made of polyester and spandex so they get really hot.

Ruby T- Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the foam, and I also layer my thin cotton shirts. Everytime I've tried to wear a sweater this winter, I've taken it back off in about 5 minutes =) I think the people around me just think I'm neurotic about this stuff!

Naomi-I like that shirt on your Avatar. I think I will be getting a POTS shirt or 2. I am on the band wagon for raising awareness for POTS.

Katie- Definitely the bras affect me, hadn't thought about the longer style, I will try that.

Thanks gals!

Thanks for this post!!!! I had never given a second thought to the fabric but I am always freezing but will get a cold clammy sweat whenever I wear fleece! I never connected the two... AND- I've also been unable to wear my "usual" bras- which is unfortunate because I'm a 34 F size so I need heavy duty underwire for lifting and support- but they restrict my breathing so much I've had to just wear cotton sports bras that I used to only where to bed. But I know this doesn't support my big "girls" like they need it so I fear about how terribly they will be drooping in a year or two :( Any suggestions for something really supportive for larger boobs that won't constrict?

Jen,

I wish I could help, but I was not given all that you were :) I plan on giving the long line bra a try that Katie talked about. She sent me a link for one brand but they appear to only go to a size DD. Possibly there are other brands out there on the web to accommodate you though.

Cotton flannel sheets work well for me because ( gross ) I sweat so much at night and they are a little absorbent. When I sleep in regular cotton sheets I wake up in a puddle ( super gross ). I also have a bamboo night gown and it helps too. I think trying to be comfortable at night is so important because we need some good quality sleep. most synthetics are my enemy. If you have trouble with cold feet I have found that smartwool socks are warm and not as itchy as regular wool.