Is There Such A Thing As An Unexhausting Activity?

roxie

Does anyone know why the simplest, most sedentary things like reading and typing are exhausting?

What's the least exhausting activity you can do?

I've been thinking about getting back into knitting or crocheting since I read this article

http://www.knitonthenet.com/issue4/features/therapeuticknitting/

But I'm assume that's just as tiring

Painting and drawing on days when I can concentrate. On terrible days (and nights) I watch too much TV. I just find getting my mind off of how bad I feel helps a little.

Hope, I'm probably going to try crocheting again! It may take an adjustment to get used too before I can do it a lot. That always happens to me. I used to crochet and wanted to do it all the time but I never had the energy to do crochet marathons. Then I got bored and stopped...think it time to try again.

Lemons- I sleep 9-10 hours and STILL wish I could sleep more.

Puppylove- I've drawn some, not that good at it and it takes concentration. I watch a lot of tv too and have gotten bored with that too

My son got 'bookworm' (game) on my ipod. He hates spelling and it's a spelling game, so I was happy that he wanted to get it. Anyway, I will pick that up to play sometimes when I'm very symptomatic and can't do anything else. It gives me that little bit of brain stimulation, keeps me distracted from my symptoms and I can be completely laid out while playing.

It definitely isn't productive like crocheting or painting,..

I started crocheting last year, and it has been wonderful! There are many days when my only accomplishment is crocheting a hat...but at least I have something to show for my day! I like it because I don't have to think...my fingers just do it :). It's bren very therapeutic to find something that I'm capable of doing in the condition I am in.

This barely fits into the activity category because it's done laying down and resting, but I started bird watching a few years ago. Now I'm into laying on the beach watching people, dolfins, sea birds, etc ..

The upside to this is that you can do it with a freind too so it's even socialable ... oh and you can get your vitamin d this way.

I have fine motor skills problems so most activities would just agravate me. tc ... d

Lemons beat me to it -- sometimes sleeping seems to be just as tiring as being awake and active!

I find reading takes concentration, at least the materials I usually enjoy reading (medical/scientific journals, bible commentaries, financial reports).

When I'm feeling my worst, I usually will focus on music (listening, finding), or photography. If I'm not feeling good enough to go out and take pics, I'll pick up Photoshop and work on some of the photos I've been taking.

No matter how rough I feel, I've committed myself to going outside at least once a day. That in and of itself can be a chore, but has kept me sane throughout all sorts of illnesses. There've been times when I've been bed-bound in the hospital that I've had to absolutely beg to get outside for a bit, but it was worth it.

i love coloring! i have some really nice coloring books (mandala's, easy ones and more dificult drawings) and a big box of crayons next to my couch, so very easy to start.

i love painting and drawing too but it takes more energy. when i'm well enough to go out (which is quite often since octreotide) i go out to take pictures for my photography classes (really exciting to be able to do the classes now!!!).

i also love playing bookworm (have always been into word games) or mayong.

Corina- what do you do with everything you color??

Do you all force yourself to stay occupied with low key activities even if you aren't feeling well. I struggle finding the balance of even simple things and just laying back with my eyes closed

I color sometimes too Corina, although I usually only have cheapy coloring books. I like to read also, and if it is warm enough outside, I love to lay out in my hammock and read. I love doing puzzles also. I only do 500 pc ones and I'm really picky about the picture and the quality of my puzzles. I have two indoor plants that I take care of, and although it's not much, it still is fun to look after them lol. When I feel good enough, I like to weed the garden and water outdoor plants (I love being outside!). I also draw (not very well) and paint. When I feel good enough, I bake and enjoy cake decorating and have recently learned some sugar art. I have ADHD so it drives me crazy to do nothing. I hate when I'm too sick to do anything at all (but can't sleep), so I usually at least attempt to color or play a game on my Ipod.

Corina- I didn't know there was such a thing as "quality" coloring books... I love to color too.. I don't know why it's so relaxing ( nostalgia, focusing, whatever it is) but I usually just use my kids' old cheap ones. I will have to look those up.

I also do the "cheating knitting" (as my friend who is an avid needle knitter) with the looms. I love those and have made some really pretty hats and scarves. I love to take pictures but can't do much of that anymore- but REALLY love editing so I have oodles of pictures from the past several years or that I steal from family on Facebook :) that I edit.

I'm surprised at how busy I keep myself. Oh and I am always listening to music or finding music on YouTube. I rarely have the TV on. I always have people feel sorry for me because of how bored I must be stuck in bed every day- but it is rare I am. I'm pretty busy.

Jen

Ooh potsyturvy- sugar art! I hey it's beautiful

Corina- I looked up mandala's. They look like doilies! It doesn't bother your eyes? I have eye problems....that may not be related to pots, idk

Jen- I've never used a loom but in seen them before!

It's funny Corina mentioned coloring, as that's sometimes what I'll do in Photoshop. I'll find an old B&W photo in the Library of Congress' archives and just start hand-coloring it in Photoshop. I've had a few that have turned out quite good. One of my friends actually had me make a poster of one for her.

there are pretty easy to color (drawn quite large) mandala's and there are the tiny ones. i had lots of problems doing the tiny ones for the very same reason bananas. my eye problems are dysautonomia related, at times my vision is really sharp but other times it's blurred.

i started off coloring the empty pages in my kids coloring books (donald duck was one of my favorites!) and then my sister brought me a mandala coloring booklet. you can also draw your own mandalas and color them afterwards.

now that i'm doing photography classes i need a photoshop program to edit them. i made a real nice photo this week (i'm doing dutch windmills right now) but forgot to put my iso down so i need to edit it a bit. i haven't thought of coloring in photoshop bunny, that's a real good idea!

when i couldn't go out i aksed people to take pictures of shells or something like that so that i could watch the photo and try to draw it.

like you jennglyn, i've always kept myself very busy and felt that my days were too short, even when in bed or in my recliner!!!

I agree, Corina. Once I was put on pretty strict bed rest unless I'm crawling back in Nov. and we are now into March and I'm still there- I was horrified! My life was so busy! What on earth would I do with my time??? I've been pretty amazed at much I do during the day. Usually the time flies and the kids are home from school before I know it. I am rarely ever bored- but I do get lonely at times so I love when I get visitors!!!

Jen

I can totally relate to this topic right now - everything is wearing me out! Feel like all I can do is lie there and watch tv or movies and I'm SO bored! I think knitting would wear me out. I've thought about trying beading. Has anyone gotten into that?

(null)

I've thought about beading. I think if you can easily set it up it may be possible! Like if you're n the couch or in a recliner you may need a tray so you don't loose all your beads.

I think knitting takes more energy than crocheting. You could try a knitting loom like Jen does. Or you could try crocheting, I taught myself from a book and YouTube videos!

The loom knitting is easy peasy. You can easily make a hat in a day or two. And there are tons of YouTube videos that show you how from start to finish. It's really as simple as wrapping yarn around pegs and then using a hook (latch hook kind I guess?) and pulling one strand of yarn over the next on the peg. Then you re-wrap the yarn on the pegs- and repeat with the hook.

I've thought about beading too. My friend does this and she always uses a cookie sheet to keep the beads from making a mess.

Knitting with needles, in my opinion, is harder than crocheting. I crochet as well but I'm not very good. I wonder about embroidery? Never tried that... Hmmmm...

I think of everything, my very favorite thing is editing pictures. I have so many pictures that I've done nothing with- because before I got sick I was always too busy. I've always loved to scrapbook too- but I can't really do that anymore- but I cheat and use my photo editor's scrapbook page feature- I think you can also do that on snapfish, Shutterfly, Walgreens, Walmart- any online photo processing company.