I Swear This Happens Every Month

Ugh! For the past 3 months during the worst part my menses, the barometric pressure has been dropping. It is SO frustrating. I wake up in the morning feeling okay, attributing my feelings to my oncoming menses and then all of a sudden i start to feel really bad and i don't know why. Then, i look outside and it is RAINING! Ugh. I amped my salt up today and put on my old softball helmet. I'm not going to let this lay me down all day and reverse my progress this far.

I feel for you! When I've struggled with my hypotension, my worst times are the week before my period. It usually tanks up to 10 ptsfor the week prior and until about a couple days after my period starts. My GP's theory is that it is the tank in serotonin that happens in that time frame; since serotonin helps to regulate bp (and can increase it), that's why I have such a difficult time then. Sometimes I hate looking at the calendar, knowing what might be coming!!

I went back on Depo Provera shots last fall to fix the hormone part of the problem. But, I totally relate to what you are saying about the barometric pressure...as the pressure falls, it's like something is sucking the life-blood right out of me. Sorry you keep getting the double-whammie. :wacko:

misstraci -

Yes, I feel much better on the Depo. I tried Nuvaring without skipping a week and it seems my body simply does NOT like estrogen. I felt better (that is better than I did....not better as in cured of POTS) within 48 hrs. of my shot. I went on Depo shots many years ago when we couldn't find a BC pill that didn't nauseate me. My Lyme doc wanted to see if I could stop the Depo and not return to painful periods so that my body might get back to being free of all meds/synthetic hormones. That lasted for almost a year and then the pain came back. Ob/Gyn wanted to try Nuvaring as I'm in my 30's and wanted to prevent osteoporosis. Stuck it out for 1 year but could feel my symptoms fluctuating badly in wk 3, so asked to go back on Depo and have been very happy I did. The down side for anyone thinking about it is that once you get the shot...there's no going back for at least 3 months.

I always thought I was effected by barometric pressure. I'm more symptomatic during arizona's monsoon season. However, it was confirmed when we had one of those energy audit companies come in check our house.

The seal the house to do their measurements, put this contraption over the front door and then measure pressures around your airducts and doors.

When they lowered the pressure I got so nausiated and had to lay down until they were done. It was awful!! I also am more symtomatic before my period to. It is very common to flare during that time.

Katybug, thanks again for writing back. I may look into the shot. So you mentioned that the others give nausea, for me too. Does the shot have any side effects for you? I tried the one called implanon where they implant it in your arm and thought i was having severe bleeding from it (this was right after the birth of my son) turns out the severe bleeding was coming from the retained placenta still inside me :0 So anyways, i had that removed and now i'm not on anything but i feel terrible with hormone fluctuations, i'm looking for something.

lemons,

I thought it's just me (thanx again for replying to my post), but it looks like it's another one of the "perks" that comes with POTS.

After posting I went online looking for answers, and sure enough I found them right on this website in the newsletter published in the fall of 2007 under the q&a section ... My computer doesn't let me paste the link here, sorry :wacko:, but I hope you can find it.

Out of curiosity, did you mention this to your doctor?

Alex