Tachycardia Related To Muscle Movement?

julieph85

Whenever my symptoms are bad I get short of breath and tachy from even minor muscle movements and my muscles feel strange. I get this feeling all over my body of extreme muscle weakness and a burning type lactic acid pain in my arms, chest, and face. Whenever I move my muscles I get a big increase in hr and shortness of breath that lasts about 10 seconds. Some examples are stretching, leaning forward when I'm in a sitting position, reaching for something with my arm, or taking a deep breath. I've noticed that it is related to the stretching of my muscles. Mostly the muscles in my abdomen, chest, and upper back. These are also the muscles that feel weird and burn as well. The feeling I get when I move these muscles is the same feeling I get when I first stand up so I know it is some sort of sympathetic BP type thing. Does anyone else experience such drastic responses to minor body movements? What could possibly be causing this? I feel like it is interesting that by muscles burn and feel very weak at the same time.

I have this too. Hard to explain to drs that any muscle use can cause shortness of breath, hr and bp increase, even talking very long..... Myasthenia Gravis has been ruled out.....so they just give up on me and tell me to live with it....so my life has become very narrow....and not much physical activity.

I'm sorry you are also going through this. What a horrible thing to feel so out of breath from stretching my back! There has got to be some sort of explanation. I also get it from talking as well. You know I've read stuff about Baro reflex failure and I've been checked for that and don't have it but I've never heard of Baro reflex hypersensitivity which is what I feel like I experience. It is like mine is under a hair trigger and it way over shoots. I also experience this on my carotids as well. Tilting my head back causes a huge decrease in Bp and heart rate that is way over proportionate. Has anyone ever heard of a hyper sensitive Baro reflex? I can't find anything about it

I believe it is those of us that are so sensitive and are exercise intolerant even to the smallest movements, where once we may have ran races, taught aerobics, rode bikes and many more physically activities. So, why not now? I often think did I over work my heart for all those years teaching power workout? People see me with my IV on and they think I'm on oxygen. When do they think I'm getting it, it's not up my nose. lol :D I'm sorry you're having such a hard time also. I'm in the same boat. I find if I drink the power drinks slower, not drink them so cold, and skip the cold ice. My mom used to do the same and I never understood why, till POTS hard.

I have what sounds like a very similar situation. Mine varies greatly from day to day but on my bad days, I get this way from even trying to roll over in bed. Other times I feel it mostly when I try to walk up stairs. I tell my docs but they just do a manual muscle test which never tests weak. I have asked about doing a functional capacity eval or something like that because that is what I think I'd need to be able to demo the weakness that I'm talking about.

As for tilting your head back, I know a cardiologist who explained that particular movement can cause a stretch of the ganglia in the neck (stupid brain fog..can't remember the name) but it causes a reflexive vasovagal reaction which might explain why you get the BP and HR drop you're experiencing.

This totally makes sense to me! I thought I recently read a scholarly article to back up my point, but I can't find it now, so I will try my best to explain it, with my convoluted story...

I was seeing a rolfer for my TMJ and fold him about POTS. He then mentioned that there is something above your chest and below the top of your neck that controls heart rate. He thought it might be interesting to see if Rolfing would help alleviate pressure and therefore help my heart rate. He had heard about it working in school. Then that week I met my friend's chiropractor who also does structural integration and deep fascia massages. I asked him about what my rolfer said and he was immediately like, "absolutely...I've cured a bunch of people." Okay, it was more technical than that, and he was more modest. But he came with an amazing recommendation and "cure" story from my friend.

So anyway, I have been seeing him for two months, two hours a week. He noticed that my upper ribs were totally out of wack and so finally got to work on my upper torso and neck a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't been in pain since.

This is just one comonent of a larger strategy to kick this thing to the curb.... But it seems like an important component in the big picture.