Ventolin Or Symbicort

ramakentesh

someone sent me an email this morning on their own theory of POTS and i was quite impressed.

Firstly they think that POTS is caused by beta 2 adrenoreceptor abnormalities. As this patient explained to me ages ago, there are studies that talk about this in POTS - causing a hyperadrenergic state and increases of BP on emotional stress.

I filed that info away. More recently work by some of the docs in Oklahoma found an autoimmune process where antibodies were activiating beta 2 receptor dilation in OH. Some work on POTS is coming out from this team in the next few months and i hope its groundbreaking.

Recently the same patient told me that he has used the above medications for a breathing condition he has developed and noticed an improvement in his CFS/POTS symtpoms - dizziness and brain fog.

I found this pretty interesting. And was wondering whether anyone else had used either of these medications and noticed any side effects??

I am surprised that Ventolin would not increase his HR and aggrravate his POTS symptoms. It is possible that Asthma drugs like Ventolin, (I;m not sure about symbicort since symbicort is not a fast relieving asthma inhaler) and Xopenex may slightly improve his brain fog in that his breathing has improved. When you are not getting enough air, you feel like a fish out of water.

I don't think you should confuse POTs meds with meds for Asthma or COPD.

I have never taken either of them directly, but I have been exposed to them when my patients get breathing treatments. I do get very tachycardic and dizzy when exposed to them, but since I am not directly taking them, I really cant say for sure. I did have one experience where I was stuck in a room for the whole breathing treatment. At first I was terribly dizzy and sure I was going to pass out, but eventually it passed and I felt like I had been given a fresh set of lungs haha ;). I have no issues with asthma or bronchoconstriction so I was surprised by the difference I felt in my breathing capacity. Not sure that it did much for my POTS, although I was kind of elated that I had survived a whole breathing treatment without passing out :rolleyes:

I take xopanex which is like ventolin, it help 15% max with breathing, not with POTS. Symbicort is a combo inhaler. I've had the inhaled steriod pulmicort, I've been too chicken to try the long-active beta but I have a huge supply of it. When I'm off the prednisone in a month I'll try it. But I've heard good things from people on here who use it for breathing issues, but they didn't mention any improved POTS from it, sorry...

Albuterol and Xopenex (like Ventolin) did NOTHING for my breathing problems, but did worsen my tachy :wacko: Your friend's theory may be right on- for him. POTS is a symptom and there are dozens of etiologies- makes it impossible to generalize.

Not sure why it would help, because from what I read tonight - it would increase NE. But, when I'm having shortness of breathe it helps. It could be because it vasodilates and/or because it could be helping with mast cell disorders due to histamine release. Not really sure - why it helps, but it does. Although it does make tremors worse.

• 5 years later...

I take both ventolin and symbicort  - i take 2 puffs twice a day and 2 at lunch if i am having "one of those" days and use ventolin when i need it - symbicort can be used in the new SMART way - you can use upto 12 puffs of the 200/6 dose inhaler instead of ventolin, it works for some. I find it too hard to use the turbohaler when bad so i wouldnt do the SMART - aslo i am already taking the max dose in as i am on the 400/12 inhaler!!

I’ve taken Symbicort, Albuterol (Proventil and Ventolin) as well as Xopenex but, unfortunately, all of these medications make me feel a thousand times worse.  The Albuterol gives me tachycardia, major insomnia and makes me shake uncontrollably (so much so that people stare at me).  I've even tried taking them through a metered dose inhaler and then rinsing out my mouth afterwards but I still shake like crazy.  I have asthma but don’t take anything unless I’m really in a bad way.  Two years ago I saw a new doctor who told me that she developed POTS when going to medical school.  She then recommended Xopenex because it is an emergency inhaler like Albuterol but doesn’t have such bad side effects (less tachycardia).  I’ve tried it and while it doesn’t make me as symptomatic, I found it didn’t work quite as well as Albuterol so I take the Xopenex when I’m too scared to take Albuterol but if I’m having a major emergency I take the Albuterol (most times I just take a vial of prescription saline in a nebulizer).  As for the Symbicort, I took it once and it gave me a horrible burning sensation in my lungs and gave me really bad hives (my allergist told me to stop it immediately).  I normally don’t get hives unless I’m having a very bad adrenaline rush or major food allergies.  I remember learning that Symbicort is a mast cell stabilizer, which sort of surprises me because I’ve always felt that with my gazillion allergies I might also have a mast cell disorder but I’ve tested negative so I’m really perplexed.  (I'm hyperadrenergic.)