Cough Lightheadedness

potsyturvy

I have a cough that has been going around. My family all has the same cough and my parents both went to the doctor for it. She said it can take 6-8 weeks to get over it. Right now when I go through a coughing spell, I get really lightheaded and bad presyncope after coughing. Since I may be stuck with this cough for a while, does any one know anything that can help with the presyncope? Has anyone else heard of this happening before?

It is not surprising that a cough is causing this response as coughing changes your BP and your oxygenation. I think the only way to alleviate the presyncope, is to try to control the cough as best you can while it runs its course. You can try steam tents over your sink, warm compresses on yor chest with Vick's mixed in, I actually rub some Vick's under my nose to help sooth bad coughs so I get a breathe of it with each inhale. I know meds can be hard because a lot of cough meds will cause POTSies to have symptoms. I also find the Chai tea helps me when I have a cough because it has a lot of strong aromatic spices in it that help my chest a bit. Plus, keeping extra hydrated is especially important to allow your lungs to heal.

The cough is stimulating your vagus nerve and causing a drop in BP. Unfortunately I think the only thing you can do is control the cough :(

I was going to say the same thing. Coughing can cause that "bearing down" vasovagal movement that causes issues in many of us. Stay super hydrated and salt loaded, and maybe lay down right when you feel a coughing fit coming on? I get this when I laugh too much as well - its very annoying!

Hope you feel better soon! PS - Musenex? May clear out the gunk and get rid of the cough quicker?

Claire