Do any of you have medical alert braclets

Ling

I am busy getting a medical alert bracelet. I am petrified that one day I am in a car accident and they give me the wrong medication. I am supper sensitive to medication and my heart goes crazy for nothing. My first question is what does your medical alert bracelets say? How do you explain in one sentence the craziness of our bodies? I want to get one because I don?t trust doctors or other medical staff. I know they are going to give me the wrong medication.

I get mine through the medic alert foundation. You have to pay a small annual fee but it comes with a lot of benefits (peace of mind.) I've attached the web link for you to review.

http://www.medicalert.org/home/Homegradient.aspx

My medic alert bracelet says Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and drug sensitivities. That's all they had room for but it has your account number and 1-800 number to call for all the information, current medication list, doctor's names and phone numbers, emergency contacts, drug allergies, medical history, etc.

I've had one for many years. Mine says "Drug allergies, asthma, dysautonomia. Call Medic Alert." It has Medic Alert's phone number engraved. There is a unique ID number on each bracelet, and that is what is used to be able to access your file in an emergency.

Medic alert holds my pertinent information on file and can fax it to any ER or medical facility as needed . You can update your information via an 800 number, 24 hours a day, or you can updated info online.

Your medical file contains any important diagnostic information, surgical history, all your medications, all your allergies, listings of your doctor's names and phone numbers, your emergency contact person's phone number and anything else you feel is important. I have a medical power of attorney set up with Teri and also a living will, so that's listed in my file.

I usually check mine once a month or so to make sure my current list medications are up to date and have the right doseages listed. Also, I can add any new medication allergies--it only takes a few seconds to add info or change info.

Nina :)

Hi,

My daughter got hers from www.laurenshope.com. The company started making these after being approached by a little girl with diabetes and her mom asked them to design a medical ID braclet because the regular medical ID's were 'ugly'. They are beautiful, but unlike the others, they are NOT connected to any type of medical alert number. It has on it that she has Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and a list of all her allergies

Patti

I have purchased the bracelets from Lauren's Hope also--but I get the tag made by Medic Alert (they will make you just a tag, without a bracelet), and pay the annual fee so that all my info is readily available. I have at least two dozen medication allergies, so engraving each on the tag is not possible for me--that's why I feel it's so worth it to pay the small fee and know that the info is available anywhere in the world by phone.

FYI, I have the links to Lauren's Hope and to Medic Alert in the pinned topic that says "help yourself to answers..." http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1954

it's near the bottom in the shopping section

I got mine online at MedicAlert. It says "Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome - call immediately" The call immediately part instructs them to call Medic Alert and then they give the detailed info on file about meds, my doc, etc. Theoretically they are NOT to act until they have spoken with Medic Alert...Medic Alert keeps a pretty detailed file on each person.

Good luck!

Kristen

Sorry I was so tired when I posted this morning I didn't finish what I was saying but I see that others agree with the medic alert. I will never give up this peace of mind. Furthermore, the reason the have to take up so much room typing out postural tachycardia syndrome or positional orthostatic tachycardia syndrome is because POTS isn't recognized yet by most emergency personnel, well ok most in the medical community period.

Guest tearose

I don't have one. I'd have to think about all my issues and how to summarize..

How does this sound:

"check pulse and blood pressure carefully, patient is not dead, probably napping" :)

I found out about the actual subscription type Medic Alert braclets out here. I signed my wife up right away. I bought her one of the fancier bracelets (let her pick it out), so she would be more apt to wear it. You also get a free one. She wears the necklace type one quite a bit. She tries to pick the one that will be most visible depending on what she is doing.

I wear two bracelets first says neurocardiogenic syncope see wallet card the second says dysautonomia, POTS fluids only, it depends on what my symptoms are like as to whether I wear both or just the POTS one. I keep my wallet card with my driver license. I make sure those I work with know who to call or where to look if I have trouble, I'm lucky that I'm a cardiac nurse and work with cardiac nurses, so they know how to get hold of my doc. :lol: